Motorcycle Accident Lawyer MD
If you were hurt in a motorcycle accident, you may want to consult with a motorcycle accident lawyer MD respects from The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. Our lawyers have more than 75 years of experience and we are ready to continue helping injured clients. With an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in Maryland by your side, you may focus on your recovery while your attorney handles your claim.
Motorcycle Accident Injuries
A motorcycle accident lawyer in MD knows that driving any kind of vehicle puts people at risk of being injured in a crash, but that risk spikes dramatically when the vehicle is a motorcycle. Unlike cars and trucks, which often have advanced safety features, motorcycles provide no protection to riders in the event of a crash. This is why the rate and costs of injuries are so high.
When a motorcycle is struck by another vehicle, there is nothing between the rider and the vehicle striking it. In addition, motorcycle accident victims are often thrown from bikes and land hard on the ground’s surface. These factors all lead to serious to severe injuries that result in long-term or permanent injuries for those riders fortunate enough to survive the accident.
This is why more than 5,000 motorcyclists are killed each year in the United States. In fact, a motorcyclist is almost 30 times more likely to die in a crash than an occupant in a passenger vehicle.
It should be no surprise that there is a large difference in the rate of injuries between motorcycle accidents and car accidents. It is estimated that for every 100,000 registered motorcycle owners, more than 2,000 owners suffer motorcycle accident injuries, while only 700 out of every 100,000 car owners sustain accident injuries.
According to motorcycle crash studies, the difference in the amount over a two-year period to treat motorcycle injuries compared to car accident injuries is more than double. An MD motorcycle accident lawyer This is often due to the increased severity of motorcycle injuries compared to other vehicle rates.
Those injuries are often catastrophic. Head injuries are the number one cause of death in motorcycle accidents and it is estimated that motorcycle accidents are one of the leading causes of spinal cord injuries each year.
There are some steps that motorcyclists can take to help lower their risk of motorcycle accident injuries. The number one step is to always wear a DOT-approved helmet, even if you are driving in a state that does not require one. Riders should also wear other recommended safety gear, including jackets, pants, boots, gloves, and goggles if their helmet does not have a face shield.
It is also critical to always practice safe driving habits, including obeying all traffic laws and speed limits. Always be aware that many times, other vehicle drivers do not see a motorcycle because the bike is in the vehicle’s blind spot. An MD motorcycle accident lawyer recommends that if you find yourself in a situation where a vehicle is driving too close behind you or otherwise erratically, pull over to a safe place and let the vehicle pass you.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcycle accidents happen every day. Whether these accidents are caused by speeding or poor weather conditions, they can result in severe injuries.
- Road Rash: During a motorcycle accident, it is possible for the motorcyclist to fly over the handlebars and land on the concrete. Skin irritations and infections, otherwise known as road rash, may result in this event.
- Head Injuries: Traumatic brain injuries and other head injuries can also result from a motorcycle accident. Some head injuries can be life-altering and require several surgeries. Motorcyclists who hit their heads during an accident should seek medical treatment as soon as possible.
- Biker’s Arm: Biker’s arm is another common motorcycle accident injury a motorcycle accident lawyer MD counts on might see. Many motorcyclists put their arms in front of them during accidents to reduce impact. This could lead to nerve damage in the arms.
- Leg Injuries: While leg injuries that result from motorcycle accidents are rarely fatal, they may lead to permanent damage. Even motorcyclists who wear knee pads, motorcycle boots, and long pants could suffer severe leg injuries.
There are many different injuries that can result from a motorcycle accident. Whether they were serious or not, it is important to go see your primary care physician to get documentation of your injuries. This will help later if you go to court and need evidence that you were injured because of the accident.
What are steps a motorcyclist can take to decrease the risk of being injured in a crash?
Take a motorcycle safety course. In many states, this is a requirement in order to get your motorcycle license, but even if it is not in the state you live in, enroll in one anyway. These courses are designed to teach riders how to avoid dangerous situations, what to do in emergencies, and other helpful information.
Make sure to get the correct protective gear. An MD motorcycle accident lawyer knows there is nothing to protect you in the event of a crash, which is why you should wear all recommended safety gear to help minimize injuries in the event you are hit. Leather not only looks good, but it is also strong enough to protect the skin from being ripped apart by the road if you are knocked off your bike. Jackets, pants, chaps, boots, goggles, and gloves all serve a specific safety purpose for a motorcyclist.
One of the most important pieces of protective gear is a helmet. Whether or not you are required to wear a helmet in your state, a helmet protects your brain and head from severe injury in the event you are in a crash. It could mean the difference between whether you survive the crash or not.
Watch the weather when you are planning a drive or if you are already out. Driving in the pouring rain is not only uncomfortable but can be extremely dangerous. Not only is visibility almost nonexistent from the rain pounding down on your face, but the road surface is also hazardous for you to drive your bike on, increasing your risk of hydroplaning and losing control. If you do find yourself driving in bad conditions, find a safe place to pull over and wait until it is safe to travel again.
Make sure to avoid any distractions while you are driving. This is important no matter what type of vehicle you are driving; however, when you are on a motorcycle, you need to be aware at all times that the vehicle drivers around you may not see you. This means you need to be acutely aware of your surroundings at all times. Do not wear headphones and make sure to keep your phone put away while driving.
Make sure to leave enough space between your bike and the other vehicle. If you are too close to another vehicle, you are putting yourself at greater risk of being injured if the vehicle comes to a sudden stop or if they suddenly turn or switch lanes, especially if they are unaware you are near them.
If you are riding with a passenger, inform them of the rules. Don’t let anyone ride with you unless they have the right protective gear – including a helmet. It is also important that they know the rules of the road, as well as the rules of what they should and should not do while on the bike. For example, passengers should be aware that any sudden moves on their part, even when the bike is not in motion, could cause the bike to fall over if the driver is unaware of the moves the passenger is making.
Getting Hurt on a Motorcycle
One of the worst-case scenario accidents that can happen is an accident involving a motorcycle. When this does occur, you should seek help from a motorcycle accident lawyer Maryland residents trust from the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. We understand how devastating it can be to be in a motorcycle accident and know that the road to recovery is often a long one. However, you should not be worried about how your medical care will be covered. In addition to the physical pain you experienced and may currently be experiencing from the accident, you may have also had emotional trauma as well. Our Maryland motorcycle accident lawyer wants to help you get the compensation you deserve so that you can move on with your life.
What are the common threats to motorcyclists?
All motorcyclists should be trained in how best to operate their motorcycles. That said, training and safety gear may still not prepare you for possible threats on the road. Common causes of motorcycle accidents are:
- Drivers Speeding. It can seem like everyone needs to get somewhere quickly. When this happens, they often do not give themselves enough space between other vehicles on the road or they may speed up to get through a light. This means that motorcyclists are often not seen or become victim to someone else who was in too big of a hurry.
- Opening Car Doors. When cars pull off to the side of the street or road, many may not look around to see if another vehicle is approaching before they suddenly open their door. When this is the case, they may open their door to an oncoming motorcyclist causing the driver to quickly lose control. This can cause the motorcyclist to sustain life-threatening injuries.
- Driving Under the Influence. Unfortunately, this is something that affects many vehicles on the road, but it can be a serious threat to motorcyclists. When a driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol and they are on the road, it could mean severe injuries if they hit a motorcyclist, force the motorcycle rider to swerve and lose control of their motorcycle or clip them. Many times, motorcyclists who are hit by a drunk driver do not survive their injuries.
- Not Maintaining a Proper Distance. Because of how much smaller a motorcycle is than other vehicles on the road, other drivers may think they can maintain a closer distance to motorcyclists while they are driving or at a stoplight. However, if a motorcyclist needs to brake or if the other driver is not paying attention, it would be very easy for a car or truck to slam into the motorcyclist in one or two seconds.
When you ride a motorcycle, you know the dangers other drivers may pose when you are on the road. If you were injured while riding your motorcycle, please contact a motorcycle accident lawyer from the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C.
The Do’s and Don’ts of a Motorcycle Accident
Motorcycles pose a unique combination of excitement and risk for owners. Because there is less protection when driving a bike than when driving a vehicle, drivers are more vulnerable to injuries. The thrill of riding a motorcycle also lends itself to a greater amount of risk-taking as well, which can contribute to an increase in accidents. If you have been involved in a motorcycle wreck, you should seek out the advice of a motorcycle accident lawyer in MD. The Lawfirm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. can help you navigate the aftermath this type of event. There are some specific Do’s and Don’ts you should keep in mind immediately following the incident. Keep reading to learn more.
Do Seek Medical Attention
If you were injured, it is imperative that you get the proper medical attention you need for your injuries. People are sometimes tempted to bypass medical assistance for fear of expenses or the possibility of missing work. You should remember that if you do not take care of your injuries properly it could lead to more serious physical problems in the future, which would be even more expensive.
Do Contact A Lawyer
If you were injured in the accident, a motorcycle accident lawyer in MD can help you better understand who was at fault and what your rights are in this situation. You should remember that whether or not you were at fault, it is still wise to seek out legal counsel in this situation. If you were injured, and there were medical bills generated because of your injuries, it is especially important for you to have legal advice on your side. This ensures that you have a chance at fair and equitable compensation for your injuries.
Do Avoid Confrontation
It will be very important that you do not indulge in any types of confrontations with anyone involved in the wreck. Anything that is done or said during such a confrontation, could be used against you if there are legal actions taken. A motorcycle accident lawyer in MD can properly advise you on which steps you should take concerning others involved in the wreck.
Don’t Hide Facts
You should do everything in your power to ensure that you are being upfront and honest when speaking with a motorcycle accident lawyer in MD. The best way to ensure that you are treated justly is to be honest. If you were at fault in some way, this is important information. It does not necessarily mean that other people were not at fault as well, but that cannot be determined unless everyone is being honest.
Don’t Waste Time
If you procrastinate in contacting a motorcycle accident lawyer in MD, you could lose valuable time which could influence the outcome of any legal proceedings. You should contact a lawyer quickly and you should follow up with any information the lawyer may need quickly as well.
A motorcycle accident can be a life-altering event. The Lawfirm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. is here to help you recover.
Some of the Typical Compensation for Motorcycle Accidents
A motorcycle accident is often more severe than a regular car accident because there is less protection offered on a bike. This means that the injuries can be more severe, which means that medical bills will likely be much higher. There are many different things you can apply to get damages for in a motorcycle accident lawsuit. Some of the most common include:
- Compensation for all the medical costs, which include hospital stays, surgeries needed after the accident, physical therapy costs, chiropractic care, prescription medication, and more.
- Compensation for damaged property. This will definitely include the motorcycle and can also include any expensive clothing or items that were in the motorcycle at the time of the accident.
- Damages for pain and suffering. This is not always sought after in personal injury lawsuits, as many judges do not approve it, but motorcycle accidents can be particularly traumatizing, which means it cannot hurt to file for this as well. We will be able to discuss your case to see if this is worth seeking or not.
- Compensation for lost wages due to missed work. If you are unable to perform your duties at work because of the injuries you sustained or even if you just missed a few days, you deserve to be compensated for this. You should not lose anything because you were injured due to someone else’s negligence.
Speak to us about your case in great detail so that we can help you figure out what you may be eligible to collect. We want you to get what you deserve and to make this process as smooth for you as possible. We are experienced with motorcycle accidents and know what a judge may think about your case.
Benefits of Hiring a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer MD Relies On
If you wish to file a motorcycle accident lawsuit, it may be in your best interest to work with a skilled motorcycle accident lawyer MD trusts. Here are some of the benefits of hiring a lawyer to take your case:
- Higher Compensation: An experienced Maryland motorcycle accident lawyer may know the approximate value of your claim and have superb negotiating skills. You may be more likely to get a higher compensation amount if you work with a lawyer.
- Reduced Stress: Handling a motorcycle accident lawsuit by yourself can be very time-consuming and stressful. All that stress can take its toll on you and make it difficult to recover.
- Greater Chance of Winning Your Case: An experienced motorcycle accident lawyer will know what arguments work well in court and what may be dismissed by a judge. By hiring a good lawyer, you will have invaluable expertise on your side that can make the difference of winning or losing your case. A lawyer will be able to gather the right evidence that you need to offer proof of negligence in the motorcycle accident and will know whether or not it will be important to do extra things like hire expert witnesses or a team of investigators to go to the scene of the accident.
At The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C., we understand how difficult it is to suffer a motorcycle accident injury. That is why we are prepared to do everything we can to help our clients receive justice. We offer free case evaluations for prospective clients who are interested in getting more detailed information about their case. Each personal injury claim is unique and it’s important for your attorney to consider all the factors that are in your claim. Our law firm is dedicated to serving communities throughout Maryland, Virginia, and the Washington DC metro area.
Contact The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. Right Away
Do not wait to hire a lawyer to represent you. If you are searching for a motorcycle accident lawyer MD offers, contact The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. today. You do not want to miss the statute of limitations for filing, so it is important to not delay in contacting us. We will schedule you as soon as possible to do your free consultation and help figure out if you have a case worth pursuing.