Motorcycle Accident Lawyer MD
If you were hurt in a motorcycle accident, you may want to consult with a motorcycle accident lawyer MD respects from The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. Our lawyers have more than 75 years of experience and we are ready to continue helping injured clients. With an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in Maryland by your side, you may focus on your recovery while your attorney handles your claim.
Motorcycle Accident Injuries
A motorcycle accident lawyer in MD knows that driving any kind of vehicle puts people at risk of being injured in a crash, but that risk spikes dramatically when the vehicle is a motorcycle. Unlike cars and trucks, which often have advanced safety features, motorcycles provide no protection to riders in the event of a crash. This is why the rate and costs of injuries are so high.
When a motorcycle is struck by another vehicle, there is nothing between the rider and the vehicle striking it. In addition, motorcycle accident victims are often thrown from bikes and land hard on the ground’s surface. These factors all lead to serious to severe injuries that result in long-term or permanent injuries for those riders fortunate enough to survive the accident.
This is why more than 5,000 motorcyclists are killed each year in the United States. In fact, a motorcyclist is almost 30 times more likely to die in a crash than an occupant in a passenger vehicle.
It should be no surprise that there is a large difference in the rate of injuries between motorcycle accidents and car accidents. It is estimated that for every 100,000 registered motorcycle owners, more than 2,000 owners suffer motorcycle accident injuries, while only 700 out of every 100,000 car owners sustain accident injuries.
According to motorcycle crash studies, the difference in the amount over a two-year period to treat motorcycle injuries compared to car accident injuries is more than double. An MD motorcycle accident lawyer This is often due to the increased severity of motorcycle injuries compared to other vehicle rates.
Those injuries are often catastrophic. Head injuries are the number one cause of death in motorcycle accidents and it is estimated that motorcycle accidents are one of the leading causes of spinal cord injuries each year.
There are some steps that motorcyclists can take to help lower their risk of motorcycle accident injuries. The number one step is to always wear a DOT-approved helmet, even if you are driving in a state that does not require one. Riders should also wear other recommended safety gear, including jackets, pants, boots, gloves, and goggles if their helmet does not have a face shield.
It is also critical to always practice safe driving habits, including obeying all traffic laws and speed limits. Always be aware that many times, other vehicle drivers do not see a motorcycle because the bike is in the vehicle’s blind spot. An MD motorcycle accident lawyer recommends that if you find yourself in a situation where a vehicle is driving too close behind you or otherwise erratically, pull over to a safe place and let the vehicle pass you.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcycle accidents happen every day. Whether these accidents are caused by speeding or poor weather conditions, they can result in severe injuries.
- Road Rash: During a motorcycle accident, it is possible for the motorcyclist to fly over the handlebars and land on the concrete. Skin irritations and infections, otherwise known as road rash, may result in this event.
- Head Injuries: Traumatic brain injuries and other head injuries can also result from a motorcycle accident. Some head injuries can be life-altering and require several surgeries. Motorcyclists who hit their heads during an accident should seek medical treatment as soon as possible.
- Biker’s Arm: Biker’s arm is another common motorcycle accident injury a motorcycle accident lawyer MD counts on might see. Many motorcyclists put their arms in front of them during accidents to reduce impact. This could lead to nerve damage in the arms.
- Leg Injuries: While leg injuries that result from motorcycle accidents are rarely fatal, they may lead to permanent damage. Even motorcyclists who wear knee pads, motorcycle boots, and long pants could suffer severe leg injuries.
There are many different injuries that can result from a motorcycle accident. Whether they were serious or not, it is important to go see your primary care physician to get documentation of your injuries. This will help later if you go to court and need evidence that you were injured because of the accident.
Motorcycle Accidents By the Numbers
Motorcycles are a convenient and economical way to travel. Many travelers find them more affordable to purchase and operate than a vehicle. Also, motorcycles are just fun to ride. However, they can be dangerous if you’re careless. Sometimes, even if you are careful, you can fall victim to someone else’s lack of attention. Motorcycle accidents are common, and because the driver is more exposed, injuries tend to be more severe than car accidents. People in motorcycle accidents are almost 30 times more likely to die than those in car accidents.
Motorcycle Accidents By the Numbers
In 2018, almost 5,000 people in the United States died in motorcycle accidents. The Lawfirm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. often represents the families of these victims.
- One out of three fatal accidents involved driving while drunk or impaired.
- Males are more likely than females to die in motorcycle accidents.
- The average age of people killed in motorcycle accidents was 43 in 2016. More than half of motorcycle accident deaths that year happened to people over the age of 40.
- Though motorcycles make up less than 5% of registered vehicles, they account for almost 15% of traffic-related deaths.
- Even when the accident isn’t fatal, it’s still more likely to cause serious injury than a car accident.
Ways to Make Riding Safer
However, you don’t have to give up your motorcycle to be safe. You can take some simple steps to make your travels less hazardous.
- By wearing a helmet, you can reduce your risk of head injury by almost 70% and your risk of death by nearly half.
- Speeding is a leading cause of single-vehicle motorcycle crashes. Maintaining a safe speed makes you more able to navigate sharp curves and avoid dangerous braking patterns.
- Properly maintaining your bike can help you avoid accidents caused by mechanical failures such as flat tires. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation advises inspecting your motorcycle before each ride.
- Accidents between cars and motorcycles are common because the car driver does not see the bike. Wearing high-visibility clothing and using your headlights can help save your life.
Motorcycles and Cars
Most motorcycle accidents involve a car, truck, or another similar vehicle. In more than 2/3 of those accidents, the car driver ventured into the motorcycle rider’s right of way. If you’re injured in a crash that is the fault of another driver, you may have a right to compensation for your harms and losses. Contact a motorcycle accident lawyer in MD to learn more about how to protect your rights. The Lawfirm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. has an experienced team that’s ready to help.
What are steps a motorcyclist can take to decrease the risk of being injured in a crash?
Take a motorcycle safety course. In many states, this is a requirement in order to get your motorcycle license, but even if it is not in the state you live in, enroll in one anyway. These courses are designed to teach riders how to avoid dangerous situations, what to do in emergencies, and other helpful information.
Make sure to get the correct protective gear. An MD motorcycle accident lawyer knows there is nothing to protect you in the event of a crash, which is why you should wear all recommended safety gear to help minimize injuries in the event you are hit. Leather not only looks good, but it is also strong enough to protect the skin from being ripped apart by the road if you are knocked off your bike. Jackets, pants, chaps, boots, goggles, and gloves all serve a specific safety purpose for a motorcyclist.
One of the most important pieces of protective gear is a helmet. Whether or not you are required to wear a helmet in your state, a helmet protects your brain and head from severe injury in the event you are in a crash. It could mean the difference between whether you survive the crash or not.
Watch the weather when you are planning a drive or if you are already out. Driving in the pouring rain is not only uncomfortable but can be extremely dangerous. Not only is visibility almost nonexistent from the rain pounding down on your face, but the road surface is also hazardous for you to drive your bike on, increasing your risk of hydroplaning and losing control. If you do find yourself driving in bad conditions, find a safe place to pull over and wait until it is safe to travel again.
Make sure to avoid any distractions while you are driving. This is important no matter what type of vehicle you are driving; however, when you are on a motorcycle, you need to be aware at all times that the vehicle drivers around you may not see you. This means you need to be acutely aware of your surroundings at all times. Do not wear headphones and make sure to keep your phone put away while driving.
Make sure to leave enough space between your bike and the other vehicle. If you are too close to another vehicle, you are putting yourself at greater risk of being injured if the vehicle comes to a sudden stop or if they suddenly turn or switch lanes, especially if they are unaware you are near them.
If you are riding with a passenger, inform them of the rules. Don’t let anyone ride with you unless they have the right protective gear – including a helmet. It is also important that they know the rules of the road, as well as the rules of what they should and should not do while on the bike. For example, passengers should be aware that any sudden moves on their part, even when the bike is not in motion, could cause the bike to fall over if the driver is unaware of the moves the passenger is making.
Getting Hurt on a Motorcycle
One of the worst-case scenario accidents that can happen is an accident involving a motorcycle. When this does occur, you should seek help from a motorcycle accident lawyer Maryland residents trust from the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. We understand how devastating it can be to be in a motorcycle accident and know that the road to recovery is often a long one. However, you should not be worried about how your medical care will be covered. In addition to the physical pain you experienced and may currently be experiencing from the accident, you may have also had emotional trauma as well. Our Maryland motorcycle accident lawyer wants to help you get the compensation you deserve so that you can move on with your life.
What are the common threats to motorcyclists?
All motorcyclists should be trained in how best to operate their motorcycles. That said, training and safety gear may still not prepare you for possible threats on the road. Common causes of motorcycle accidents are:
- Drivers Speeding. It can seem like everyone needs to get somewhere quickly. When this happens, they often do not give themselves enough space between other vehicles on the road or they may speed up to get through a light. This means that motorcyclists are often not seen or become victim to someone else who was in too big of a hurry.
- Opening Car Doors. When cars pull off to the side of the street or road, many may not look around to see if another vehicle is approaching before they suddenly open their door. When this is the case, they may open their door to an oncoming motorcyclist causing the driver to quickly lose control. This can cause the motorcyclist to sustain life-threatening injuries.
- Driving Under the Influence. Unfortunately, this is something that affects many vehicles on the road, but it can be a serious threat to motorcyclists. When a driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol and they are on the road, it could mean severe injuries if they hit a motorcyclist, force the motorcycle rider to swerve and lose control of their motorcycle or clip them. Many times, motorcyclists who are hit by a drunk driver do not survive their injuries.
- Not Maintaining a Proper Distance. Because of how much smaller a motorcycle is than other vehicles on the road, other drivers may think they can maintain a closer distance to motorcyclists while they are driving or at a stoplight. However, if a motorcyclist needs to brake or if the other driver is not paying attention, it would be very easy for a car or truck to slam into the motorcyclist in one or two seconds.
When you ride a motorcycle, you know the dangers other drivers may pose when you are on the road. If you were injured while riding your motorcycle, please contact a motorcycle accident lawyer from the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C.
The Do’s and Don’ts of a Motorcycle Accident
Motorcycles pose a unique combination of excitement and risk for owners. Because there is less protection when driving a bike than when driving a vehicle, drivers are more vulnerable to injuries. The thrill of riding a motorcycle also lends itself to a greater amount of risk-taking as well, which can contribute to an increase in accidents. If you have been involved in a motorcycle wreck, you should seek out the advice of a motorcycle accident lawyer in MD. The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. can help you navigate the aftermath this type of event. There are some specific Do’s and Don’ts you should keep in mind immediately following the incident. Keep reading to learn more.
Do Seek Medical Attention
If you were injured, it is imperative that you get the proper medical attention you need for your injuries. People are sometimes tempted to bypass medical assistance for fear of expenses or the possibility of missing work. You should remember that if you do not take care of your injuries properly it could lead to more serious physical problems in the future, which would be even more expensive.
Do Contact A Lawyer
If you were injured in the accident, a motorcycle accident lawyer in MD can help you better understand who was at fault and what your rights are in this situation. You should remember that whether or not you were at fault, it is still wise to seek out legal counsel in this situation. If you were injured, and there were medical bills generated because of your injuries, it is especially important for you to have legal advice on your side. This ensures that you have a chance at fair and equitable compensation for your injuries.
Do Avoid Confrontation
It will be very important that you do not indulge in any types of confrontations with anyone involved in the wreck. Anything that is done or said during such a confrontation, could be used against you if there are legal actions taken. A motorcycle accident lawyer in MD can properly advise you on which steps you should take concerning others involved in the wreck.
Don’t Hide Facts
You should do everything in your power to ensure that you are being upfront and honest when speaking with a motorcycle accident lawyer in MD. The best way to ensure that you are treated justly is to be honest. If you were at fault in some way, this is important information. It does not necessarily mean that other people were not at fault as well, but that cannot be determined unless everyone is being honest.
Don’t Waste Time
If you procrastinate in contacting a motorcycle accident lawyer in MD, you could lose valuable time which could influence the outcome of any legal proceedings. You should contact a lawyer quickly and you should follow up with any information the lawyer may need quickly as well.
A motorcycle accident can be a life-altering event. The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. is here to help you recover.
Some of the Typical Compensation for Motorcycle Accidents
A motorcycle accident is often more severe than a regular car accident because there is less protection offered on a bike. This means that the injuries can be more severe, which means that medical bills will likely be much higher. There are many different things you can apply to get damages for in a motorcycle accident lawsuit. Some of the most common include:
- Compensation for all the medical costs, which include hospital stays, surgeries needed after the accident, physical therapy costs, chiropractic care, prescription medication, and more.
- Compensation for damaged property. This will definitely include the motorcycle and can also include any expensive clothing or items that were in the motorcycle at the time of the accident.
- Damages for pain and suffering. This is not always sought after in personal injury lawsuits, as many judges do not approve it, but motorcycle accidents can be particularly traumatizing, which means it cannot hurt to file for this as well. We will be able to discuss your case to see if this is worth seeking or not.
- Compensation for lost wages due to missed work. If you are unable to perform your duties at work because of the injuries you sustained or even if you just missed a few days, you deserve to be compensated for this. You should not lose anything because you were injured due to someone else’s negligence.
Speak to us about your case in great detail so that we can help you figure out what you may be eligible to collect. We want you to get what you deserve and to make this process as smooth for you as possible. We are experienced with motorcycle accidents and know what a judge may think about your case.
Benefits of Hiring a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer MD Relies On
If you wish to file a motorcycle accident lawsuit, it may be in your best interest to work with a skilled motorcycle accident lawyer MD trusts. Here are some of the benefits of hiring a lawyer to take your case:
- Higher Compensation: An experienced Maryland motorcycle accident lawyer may know the approximate value of your claim and have superb negotiating skills. You may be more likely to get a higher compensation amount if you work with a lawyer.
- Reduced Stress: Handling a motorcycle accident lawsuit by yourself can be very time-consuming and stressful. All that stress can take its toll on you and make it difficult to recover.
- Greater Chance of Winning Your Case: An experienced motorcycle accident lawyer will know what arguments work well in court and what may be dismissed by a judge. By hiring a good lawyer, you will have invaluable expertise on your side that can make the difference of winning or losing your case. A lawyer will be able to gather the right evidence that you need to offer proof of negligence in the motorcycle accident and will know whether or not it will be important to do extra things like hire expert witnesses or a team of investigators to go to the scene of the accident.
At The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C., we understand how difficult it is to suffer a motorcycle accident injury. That is why we are prepared to do everything we can to help our clients receive justice. We offer free case evaluations for prospective clients who are interested in getting more detailed information about their case. Each personal injury claim is unique and it’s important for your attorney to consider all the factors that are in your claim. Our law firm is dedicated to serving communities throughout Maryland, Virginia, and the Washington DC metro area.
Contact The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. Right Away
Do not wait to hire a lawyer to represent you. If you are searching for a motorcycle accident lawyer MD offers, contact The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. today. You do not want to miss the statute of limitations for filing, so it is important to not delay in contacting us. We will schedule you as soon as possible to do your free consultation and help figure out if you have a case worth pursuing.
A Lawyer Can Help You With Insurance Companies
Motorcycle accident victims might not realize it until it is too late, but insurance companies are often not on their side. Insurance companies are mostly private entities that are beholden to shareholders who are expecting a return on their investment. So when it comes to paying for damages they will try to pay as little as possible to protect their bottom line leaving you in a bad place. That is why it is important to speak with a motorcycle accident lawyer in MD as soon as you are in your accident. They will be able to advise you on your case and help you understand your legal options and how they relate to your insurance claim. Our lawyers at The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. have years of experiencing representing clients in this exact situation. Call our office today to schedule a free and confidential consultation.
The Insurance Claim Process
Following the accident, the responsible party’s insurance company will assign a claims adjuster to the case. A claims adjuster assesses the property damage. Their investigation informs if they should compensate you and if so, how much to pay. If the accident was serious, the insurance company’s lawyers may also advise them on the case. Subsequently, the adjuster will offer you a settlement, which many times doesn’t reflect what you need or deserve. If you haven’t already, this is where you may want to consider hiring a lawyer to represent you. Scheduling a free consultation with a motorcycle accident lawyer in MD from a firm like The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. can help you understand whether you should accept the offer or press for more money.
You Often Have A Leg Up In Court
If after consulting with a lawyer you determine that your case justifies higher compensation, you have several options. Your lawyer can advocate on your behalf, but if those measures fail, you can also go to court. Insurance companies do not like going to court because you have the advantage. In order to persuade you to settle out of court or in order to win the case, the insurance company may try to discredit you. They may try to claim that you are inherently reckless since you drive a motorcycle, dig up background information that paints you in a bad light, or claim that your injuries aren’t as severe as they are. A lawyer will help you and develop legal strategies to strengthen your case in court.
Determining What Your Settlement Amount Should Be
There are a number of factors that an insurance adjuster uses to determine how much compensation you should receive. They look at what types of damages resulted from the accident, medical bills, documented physical injuries and mental trauma, lost income, and whether you suffered any injuries that resulted in permanent disability. While you would hope that this number reflects an appropriate amount of compensation, this is often not the case. That’s why finding a skilled motorcycle accident lawyer in MD is important. Call the office of The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. today to help you pursue the compensation you need to get back on your feet.
Pursuing a Motorcycle Accident Claim
A motorcycle accident victim who is injured by a negligent driver in Maryland has the same legal rights to financial compensation as a car accident victim, however, the process for obtaining that compensation can be more complex. This is one of the reasons why motorcycle crash victims should have a skilled motorcycle accident lawyer in MD advocating for them in any legal claim or lawsuit they have.
Are there differences between motorcycle accident claims and car accident claims?
It is well documented how much more dangerous riding motorcycles are compared to driving other types of vehicles. In fact, statistics show that a motorcycle rider is almost 30 times more likely to die in a crash than a car accident victim. This also means that the injuries suffered by survivors are usually more severe, requiring extensive medical treatments. Victims are also more often left with long-term or permanent disabilities. All of these factors make the awards and settlement amounts for motorcycle accidents higher than in car accidents. As an MD motorcycle accident lawyer knows, whenever a claim is high, it is almost guaranteed that the insurance company will do all they can to fight the claim in an attempt to reduce the amount of compensation the victim receives or even try to deny the claim completely.
Why are motorcycle accident injuries more severe than car accident injuries?
There are several factors that cause these high numbers. For one thing, because motorcycles are so much smaller than other vehicles, it is harder for other drivers to see them. Add to that a driver who is taking on the cell phone, fiddling with the radio, or other engaged in other distracting behavior, and the odds that they will not see the motorcycle driving near them are even greater.
Motorcycles also provide less protection – actually no protection – than passenger vehicles do. There is nothing to minimize the impact of a smashing vehicle. In a passenger car, although there can still be damage to the car, it does provide some buffer or protection to occupants. Even a minor collision can cause a serious injury to a motorcyclist. This is why it is critical for all motorcycle riders to wear a helmet and protective gear.
What are the most common injuries sustained by motorcycle accident victims?
Tragically, the injuries suffered in motorcycle accidents are often much more severe than those sustained in a car accident. Without that protection, there is nothing to prevent a rider from being thrown from the bike upon impact of the crash. Many victims suffer catastrophic injuries, such as brain trauma, amputation, and paralysis. These injuries leave them with much longer recovery times and often permanent disabilities.
Riding a motorcycle is a liberating experience, especially during the summer months when the time is ripe for small excursions. Whether you ride for pleasure, or your motorcycle is your main mode of transportation, you are likely aware there are inherent dangers in riding a motorbike, as there are with any motor vehicle with access to the roads.
Motorcycles have just as much right to the road as other vehicles, yet motorcycle riders are more likely to become involved in accidents with other vehicles and up to 5 times more likely to experience serious injury in an accident. This is oftentimes due to a lack of awareness of the other motorist.
Motorists of larger vehicles may overlook smaller vehicles because they don’t inhabit the roads as densely as sedans, SUVs, and trucks. Yet, it is the responsibility of all motorcists to look out for one another no matter what size the vehicle.
If you’ve been involved in a motorcycle accident involving another motorist, you need a motorcycle accident lawyer in MD. At The Lawfirm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C., we are here to help you get what you are owed.
Road Tips for Motorcyclists
While you have a 1% chance of becoming involved in an accident when you ride a motorcycle, there are some things you can do to decrease the risk.
- Make sure all your lights and turn signals are working.
- Protect yourself with safety gear, including a helmet and riding chaps.
- Help other drivers see you by wearing bright colors and proceeding through crossroads with caution.
- Never ride after drinking alcohol or taking medication that may make you drowsy.
- Know your bike and have plenty of experience with it before taking it on highways and city streets.
Even if you are prepared, another driver may not be. If you’re involved in an accident, a motorcycle accident lawyer in MD can help you get the compensation you deserve. Insurance companies tend to drag their feet or may attempt to prove their client wasn’t in the wrong. If you’re dealing with injuries, you shouldn’t have to deal with the added stress. The negligence of other drivers does not put you at fault and should not hold you back from moving forward with your life.
Contact The Lawfirm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. immediately following your accident. When putting the pieces together of an accident scene, time is crucial. The Lawfirm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. will work to get you the compensation you deserve.
Let Our Firm Help
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident, contact the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C to speak to an MD motorcycle accident lawyer and find out what legal recourse you may have.
“Mr Brynn did a good job but i was told my case would stay open because a bill was paid out of my settlement that shouldnt have been paid. But he did such a good job that once again I’m using his services”