Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Washington DC
The Aftermath of a Motorcycle Accident
When you need a motorcycle accident lawyer Washington DC bikers trust, contact the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. Our attorneys have represented many motorcycle riders who were injured in accidents caused by someone else. We understand what can be necessary to recover the maximum amount of damages for our clients.
A Washington DC motorcycle accident lawyer may recover your accident-related damages after a collision that was not your fault. With over 75 years of combined experience practicing law, we have the knowledge to represent our clients successfully. An attorney at the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. would be happy to review your case at no charge to you.
Common Injuries from Motorcycle Accidents
Because of their size relative to passenger vehicles and trucks, motorcycles can be more vulnerable to damage in accidents. As a result, bike riders are often susceptible to serious injury. Being aware of the top three most common motorcycle collision injuries before getting onto your bike to go for a ride, can help prepare you to keep an eye out for potential threats on the road in Washington DC. You can be proactive in your motorcycle riding habits by being educated and aware of the risks of injury.
Almost every motorcycle accident lawyer in Washington DC has seen many of the same injuries over and over again. Some of the most common injuries sustained by motorcyclists are:
1. Closed head injuries. This includes traumatic brain injuries, subdural hematoma, brain stem injuries, and brain death. Closed head injuries are not always apparent, even to the victim. This is why it’s extremely important to get a medical evaluation after an accident, even if you feel fine. If the physician indicates you may have suffered a closed head injury, contact an attorney without delay. A motorcycle accident lawyer may begin the process of recovering your medical costs from the liable party.
What is a traumatic brain injury (TBI) and how it is diagnosed?
A traumatic brain injury occurs when the brain is damaged due to an external force, which can lead to impairment of the victim’s physical, mental and cognitive functions. A TBI most often happens as a result of a sudden blow or jolting of the head and/or body. During this jolting, the brain can move within the skull causing bleeding or swelling. When visiting your doctor, he or she will likely use one or many of the following tests to determine if you are suffering from a TBI:
- Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS)
- Speech & Language Tests
- Measurements to determine Level of TBI
- Imaging Tests (CT, MRI, ICP)
- Cognition & Neuropsychological Tests
2. Orthopedic injuries. This includes torn ligaments, torn tendons, broken and fractured bones, and strained muscles. The arms, legs, knees, and feet are very vulnerable during an accident. The upper and lower extremities can easily shatter, including fractured elbows and knees. To help prevent such injuries, articles of protective clothing as well as knee pads should be utilized. If improper shoes are worn while riding, the toes can also be broken. Wearing metal reinforced boots can help prevent toes from being hurt.
3. Bruising, scarring, and burn injuries. Burn injuries can range from mild to lethal. Scarring can be minimal or severe. Road rash is another common injury that motorcyclists are especially susceptible to. Psychological injuries and other types of non-physical injuries are considered just as valid as physical injuries in damage claims. When pursuing damages from the at-fault driver, a motorcycle accident lawyer may also determine a monetary value for a non-physical injury.
What is road rash and how it is treated?
On the body, any exposed skin at the time of impact can suffer from road rash. This is why it is so important to be fully protected and wear long sleeves and pants even if it is warm outdoors. If a rider flies over the handlebars of his or her bike, concrete rubs exposed skin as the body skids along the pavement. Any rocks, debris, or glass can result in deeper road rash, lacerations, or even nerve damage.
Antibiotics are commonly used to prevent infection. Road rash is not simply a cut or scrape, and it can lead to long-lasting damage if not treated properly. It can develop into skin irritations and skin surface nerve damage. A medical professional should perform thorough cleaning and treatment of any open wounds.
4. Spinal cord injuries. Spinal injuries can cause discomfort and tremendous pain. They can also cause partial or full paralysis. The paralysis can be temporary or permanent. Surgery and various treatments, including physical therapy, can be expensive. After sustaining a spinal cord injury, a person may be unable to return to the job they had before the accident. As a result, they may lose a significant amount of future wages. A motorcycle accident lawyer Washington DC injury victims have hired successfully in the past may be able to recover future wages. These could be included as damages in an injury claim or lawsuit.
Contact The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn
Every time you get onto your motorcycle, other drivers can risk your safety on the road. Practice defensive driving habits and keep an eye out for speeding, careless and distracted drivers. You must be in charge of your safety and not assume vehicle drivers will behave with care on the road. Do not attempt any fancy tricks or excessive speed while on public roads.
Contact us through this website or call our local office. The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. is committed to protecting the rights of our clients. For a free case review with a motorcycle accident lawyer Washington DC offers, contact us today.