Slip and Fall Lawyer
When you have a slip and fall claim on your hands, trust the slip and fall lawyer Washington, DC trusts from The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. Many victims who are injured after slipping and falling in a business are often under the impression that their claim against the business should be a pretty simple one to process. On the contrary, as a personal injury attorney can attest, many slip and fall cases can be difficult to prove. This is because the hardest part of a slip and fall or premises liability case can be proving that the owner of the property knew or should have known that the hazard that caused the victim to slip and fall even existed.
If you’re thinking about contacting a slip and fall lawyer Washington, DC can provide, you may already know firsthand that slipping on something and falling can result in a serious injury. What you may not know is that you have the right to seek compensation if someone’s negligence caused you to fall.
Table Of Contents:
- What Happens During a Personal Injury Claim
- Three Questions that Will Help You Understand Slip and Falls
- Common Injuries from a Slip and Fall Accident
- Common Myths About Slip and Fall Cases
- What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
- Washington DC Slip and Fall Infographic
- Washington DC Slip and Fall Statistics
- Understand The Benefits of a Slip And Fall Lawyer
- Slip and Fall Lawyer DC
- Do’s & Don’ts After A Slip and Fall Injury
- Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
- Understanding Slip and Fall Accidents
- The Causes of a Slip and Fall Accident Infographic
- Choose the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C.
- Slip and Fall Lawyer Washington DC
- Common Slip and Fall Accident Injuries
- Contacting The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C., A DC Slip and Fall Lawyer
What Happens During a Personal Injury Claim
Every municipality has their own set of laws that businesses are required to follow. However, these laws can be similar in many ways. For example, property and business owners are required to keep their property and establishment hazard free for any visitors who have permission to be on the property. When a victim is injured, then it must be proven the owner knew that a dangerous condition existed and failed to eliminate it, or it must be proven that the owner should have known about the condition.
When a personal injury attorney is preparing the victim’s case, he or she will conduct an investigation to determine what evidence there may be to prove that the owner knew the hazard was there. One example of this type of evidence would be if there was already a complaint filed because some other victim had previously been injured because of the hazard.
There may also be reports with the municipality of safety violations which would prove that the owner knew the hazard existed. For example, if the town cited the owner for not having handrails in a stairway and then a victim was injured in a fall down those stairs because there was no handrail, this would be proof that the owner knew that the hazard was present but failed to act on it.
Proving that an owner should have known that a hazard existed can be a little harder. This is referred to as constructive knowledge. An example of constructive knowledge is when there is liquid on the floor that causes the victim to slip and fall. The question for a successful personal injury claim is how long the liquid was sitting on that floor. The longer it was there, the stronger the victim’s case is. A Washington, DC slip and fall lawyer could subpoena the security videos the business has to help prove that the owner (or their employees) should have known the liquid was there. However, it is not uncommon for businesses to record over these tapes multiple times. If this happens, then the evidence could be destroyed.
Many variables come into play in determining if you qualify for a personal injury settlement; ultimately, you may be best served by consulting a slip and fall lawyer Washington, DC residents trust. At The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C., we’re proud to be a reliable source for residents around the Washington DC metro area who need legal counsel.
From the perspective as an experienced slip and fall lawyer in Washington, DC, any slip and fall injury can potentially be serious. Unfortunately, many victims have discovered this the hard way. They may be embarrassed that they fell, or they may feel their injury is minor, so they pick themselves up and keep walking. What often follows is that the real nature of their injury becomes apparent. Shock, embarrassment, adrenaline — these often work together to disguise the seriousness of an injury.
Later, the victim may experience bruising, swelling, and immense pain. However, if the victim didn’t report the injury or document the circumstances of the accident, it can be very difficult to collect compensation from the responsible party. As a result, the injured victim may have to pay their medical expenses out of their own pocket.
Three Questions that Will Help You Understand Slip and Falls
When it comes to personal injuries, most people think about major accidents – but as a slip and fall lawyer in Washington DC can tell you, sometimes even the most innocent slip-up or mistake can cause some serious pain and suffering later on down the line. While they aren’t as flashy as car accidents or faulty products, the humble slip and fall can throw your life into disarray, and you may not even know it yet.
Slip and falls are a real problem, and they can happen anytime, anyplace. It’s important to learn all you can about these accidents before you reach out to a lawyer, and it’s important to know how exactly a slip and fall lawyer can help. Read on to learn more about slip and falls, and see how the professionals at The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. can help.
What Exactly is a Slip and Fall?
Slip and falls are pretty much exactly what they sound like. They’re innocent trips, slips, tumbles and falls that can be caused by anything from spilled coffee to wet steps or low-hanging cables and wires. Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere, and while they always seem innocent enough on the surface, they can cause serious health complications later on in life.
When you suffer a slip and fall, you may feel more embarrassed than actually injured. But without proper medical care and attention, your minor injuries can develop into something much more serious and painful later on. While countless people experience slip and falls every year, they oftentimes fail to report their injuries – and suffer the consequences.
Why Don’t People Report Slip and Falls?
The reasons vary, but slip and falls oftentimes go unreported. Some people who experience slip and falls may feel too embarrassed to report them to property managers or employers. And in some cases, such as when someone experiences a slip and fall in a workplace, they may actually feel too intimidated to report their injuries to their managers. Toxic workplaces can be more than just mentally harmful: They can be downright dangerous when it comes to getting proper injury care.
Despite this initial embarrassment, you should never feel too ashamed to seek compensation for your slip and fall. Would you rather deal with a bit of embarrassment, or a serious health issue in a few weeks or months? If you’ve experienced a slip and fall, it’s important to contact a slip and fall lawyer in Washington DC.
What Can the Right Slip and Fall Lawyer Do for Me?
When you’re looking for a personal injury or slip and fall lawyer, you need to make sure you’re getting in touch with the right legal team. Unfortunately, many lawyers only view each client as just another paycheck, providing cookie-cutter solutions for cases that are fundamentally different.
It’s important to understand that a slip and fall lawyer can help you secure some important financial compensation so you can keep afloat after your accident and while you pay off your medical bills. The right lawyer should understand that you’re more than just a statistic. Fortunately, that’s where The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. can help.
Common Injuries from a Slip and Fall Accident
Property owners are responsible for keeping their premises free from hazards for other people. If they fail to do this, others can slip and fall and get seriously hurt. Thousands of people get injured every year in slip and fall accidents and have to go to the hospital. If you were recently injured in a slip and fall accident, you should talk to a slip and fall lawyer Washington, DC community members rely on from The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. about your legal options.
If you fall after slipping or tripping on something, take a moment to assess how you feel before you pick yourself up. Some of the most common slip and fall injuries we, as a slip and fall lawyer Washington, DC men and women rely on, see are also some of the most serious:
Traumatic Brain Injuries
Traumatic brain injuries are one of the most severe injuries that can result from slip and fall accidents. Slip and fall accident victims can suffer traumatic brain injuries if their head hits the ground during the fall. Symptoms of a brain injury may include confusion, vomiting, blurry vision, difficulty concentrating and dizziness. Traumatic brain injuries can lead to severe complications, like seizures, infections, blood vessel damage and brain death. Treatments for these brain injuries may include medication, rest and surgery. As a slip and fall lawyer Washington, DC, we have helped a large number of victims recover compensation for brain injuries and head trauma after hitting an object or the ground in a slip and fall accident.
It’s possible to twist your knees as you fall and suffer serious knee damage. If you injure your knee, it can take a long time to heal and seriously affect your quality of life. Symptoms of a knee injury include swelling, inability to straighten the knee and popping or crunching noises. If the damage is severe, you may need surgery and months of rehabilitation.
Broken bones can also result from slip and fall accidents. Whether you break your hip or wrist, it can lead to excruciating pain and discomfort. If you break a bone in more than one place, you may have to have surgery, if not many. It is not uncommon for elderly people to slip, fall, and break multiple bones. If this happens outside, indoors, or at a nursing home facility, please don’t wait to call a slip and fall lawyer Washington, DC families respect for further advice.
Cuts and Abrasions
Although cuts might not seem as serious as all the injuries mentioned, they’re nothing to take lightly. If the cuts are very deep, they can lead to severe blood loss, infection and even scars. Your doctor may be able to treat cuts with stitches, but in severe injuries, surgery may be required.
Spinal Cord Injuries
Slip and fall accidents can also lead to spinal cord injuries. These injuries can cause permanent loss of sensation, strength, and function. While there’s no way to reverse damage to the spinal cord, it’s possible to prevent further damage and lead a productive life. Treatments for spinal cord injuries include surgery, medication, and immobilization.
If you twist your ankle as you fall, you are in danger of suffering a sprained and ankle. Although a sprained ankle isn’t life-threatening, it can interfere with your life. You might not be able to walk for a while and do your normal activities. If the ankle doesn’t heal after physical therapy or rehabilitative exercises, surgery may be needed.
If you suffered a slip and fall accident, talk to a slip and fall lawyer Washington, DC provides to resident’s from The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C.. We have helped hundreds of slip and fall accident victims get justice in the past and want to be there for you during this difficult time.
Common Myths About Slip and Fall Cases
Slip and fall accidents are one of the most common injury cases personal injury lawyers deal with. If you were recently hurt in a slip and fall accident, it’s important to learn the facts. Here are some common myths about slip and fall cases that you shouldn’t believe.
- If you get injured on someone’s property, the property owner is automatically responsible. This isn’t necessarily always the case. In order to have a successful slip and fall case, you must prove that the property owner created the hazardous condition, knew about the condition and didn’t rectify it or should have known about the condition and fixed it. If you got injured because of your own carelessness, the property owner may not be held liable.
- If there was a warning sign, you can’t file a lawsuit. Many people assume that if there was a warning sign, they don’t have a slip and fall case. This just isn’t true. Just because the property owner put up a sign, doesn’t mean that everyone can avoid a dangerous condition. For example, you might have tripped and fell over spilled milk at a grocery store, despite there being a warning sign. The owner may still be held liable.
- If you suffered a slip and fall accident on public property, you don’t have a case. This is another common myth that a slip and fall lawyer in Washington D.C. often hears. Some people believe that if they fell at a park or on a sidewalk, there’s no one to blame. However, many public properties are actually owned by private companies, so it’s possible to pursue legal action.
- If the property owner wasn’t aware of the dangerous condition, you can’t sue. False. Even if the property owner didn’t know that the dangerous condition existed, he or she could still be held responsible. If it’s determined that the property should have known about the hazardous condition that caused your slip and fall accident, you can still pursue a lawsuit.
- You have to go to court frequently. Some slip and fall accident victims shy away from pursuing legal action because they don’t want to spend months in a courtroom. However, most slip and fall cases actually get settled out of court. There’s a good chance that you don’t have to step foot into a courtroom.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
Get medical attention.
Immediately after a fall, consider calling 911. It’s important to have a first responder or medical professional, such as a doctor, examine you. They can better assess if you have suffered an injury that is serious (or more serious than you realized). If an emergency medical technician or paramedic recommends that you go to the emergency room, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Keep copies of your medical records, receipts, etc. A slip and fall lawyer Washington, DC families depend on may need those copies to build a solid injury claim or lawsuit.
Call a Washington, DC slip and fall lawyer.
When you’ve suffered serious injuries from a slip and fall accident, you’ll want to hire an attorney with a successful record of recovering damages for personal injury victims. At The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C., we have that experience, and we offer victims a free consultation. It’s confidential and it’ll give you a better idea of whether or not you have grounds to file a claim or pursue a lawsuit. A slip and fall lawyer Washington, DC has to offer might even be able to negotiate a settlement on your behalf with the liable property owner. A settlement may pay for your accident bills and make up for the money you’ve lost when you weren’t able to work because of your injury.
File a personal injury claim or lawsuit.
Depending on the seriousness of your injury and the circumstances of your accident, you may be eligible to recover your damages from those responsible. After a free consultation, you’ll have a better idea of your legal options. Don’t hesitate to call The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. today at 202-544-7200 to speak with a slip and fall lawyer Washington, DC trusts.
Preserving evidence is one of the most critical reasons why victims should contact a personal injury attorney immediately following a slip and fall accidents. The sooner an attorney is working on your case, the better your chances are that you will receive the full amount of compensation you deserve. To speak with a slip and fall lawyer Washington, DC relies on, call The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. today!
Washington DC Slip and Fall Infographic
Washington DC Slip and Fall Statistics
According to the National Floor Safety Institute, in the United States, there are an estimated 2.3 million slip and fall accidents each year. This means that every day, over 6,000 people are injured in slip and fall accidents. Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere, but they are most common in public places, such as grocery stores, malls, and parking lots.
Understand The Benefits of a Slip And Fall Lawyer
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, you may need to hire a slip and fall lawyer in Washington DC to represent your interests. A slip and fall is a personal injury claim in which a person slips or trips and falls due to the negligence of another party.
These types of cases are often complicated. If you were hurt as a result of another party’s negligence, your best bet is to contact a slip and fall injury attorney who specializes in slip and fall cases.
However, it is important that you understand the benefits of hiring slip and fall lawyer in Washington, DC from The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. sooner rather than later. Here are just some of the reasons why hiring legal representation will be beneficial to you after your accident:
One of the main issues with getting injured in an accident is that this can cause numerous financial problems for yourself. The bills that result from being injured can be astronomical, especially if you do not have health insurance or good health insurance coverage. A slip and fall lawyer can help to ensure that these bills are covered by the party or parties responsible for your accident.
These types of cases are often complicated. If you were hurt as a result of another party’s negligence, your best bet is to contact a slip and fall lawyer in Washington, DC who specializes in slip and fall cases.
In addition to medical bills, another common problem people face after getting injured in an accident is lost wages at work. This can be a major issue because it limits your ability to pay your medical bills and other expenses related to the accident.
Insurance companies will often try to get victims of slip and fall accidents to settle for the lowest amount possible. They may even deny claims that are valid. An experienced slip and fall lawyer in Washington, DC from The Law firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. can negotiate on your behalf with an insurance company so that you get fair compensation for your injuries.
They Know The Law
Personal injury cases are very complex in nature. They require a lot of knowledge and experience in the field. The law is constantly changing and evolving, and the best slip and fall lawyer in Washington, DC from The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. only works on these types of cases.
This means they are up to date on all of the latest laws, procedures, and strategies that can help get you the compensation you deserve. They also have years of experience handling these types of cases, which means they know how to investigate your case thoroughly, how to find the necessary evidence needed to prove your case, how far they can negotiate with insurance companies, and how to handle all aspects of your case (including court if it comes to that).
Slip and fall accidents can be very serious, but they are also very common. And sometimes they aren’t just accidents, sometimes the accident could have been prevented if the owner of the property had been more careful. There are many ways that a person could find themselves in these situations, whether it be from broken tiles or slippery floors. In any case, it is important to get an experienced slip and fall lawyer in Washington DC from The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. to help you with your case and to get compensation for any injuries that occurred.
When you hire a slip and fall lawyer, he or she will assess the situation that caused you to slip and fall, as well as look for any evidence that could help prove your case. If there is evidence of negligence on the part of the property owner, then your lawyer will work with his or her client to get compensation from them.
In some cases, this may include having medical bills paid by the property owner or getting compensation for pain and suffering due to the injury itself. If there is no evidence of negligence then your slip and fall lawyer in Washington DC from The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. will try to get a court order requiring the property owner to repair any damage caused by their negligence.
What will a slip and fall lawyer do?
A slip and fall lawyer will provide you with the best advice on what to do when injured after a slip and fall accident. A slip and fall lawyer will also advise you on how to get fair compensation for your slip and fall accident injuries without having to resort to litigation.
If you suffered an injury because of a slip and fall accident, it is always wise to seek the advice of a slip and fall lawyer before taking any further action.
When you slip and fall on someone else’s property, you may have a claim against that owner for your injuries. The only way to really know whether or not you have a valid claim is to speak with a slip and fall lawyer in Washington DC from The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. who knows this area of the law.
The seriousness of your injury will determine whether or not it is even worth pursuing the claim. If you break a finger, a slip and fall claim probably doesn’t make sense for you. However, if you fracture your hip and require surgery, then it makes sense to at least speak with an attorney about getting compensated for your medical bills and pain and suffering.
Not all insurance policies provide coverage for slip and fall accidents on your property. In fact, some homeowners’ policies specifically exclude coverage in these situations. Your lawyer will look at any insurance coverage that may be available to you based on the situation that caused your injury.
Whether it’s a slip and fall, an automobile accident, or a wrongful death, if you have been injured by someone else’s negligence, you need to call a slip and fall lawyer in Washington DC from The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. immediately. It is crucial that you make the right decision about who will represent your interests.
If you or someone you care about was injured in a slip and fall accident in a store recently, then you must contact our slip and fall injury law firm in Washington, DC at The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. It is very important that you take certain steps before leaving the property. How you respond in the minutes and hours after the incident can make the difference between paying out of your own pocket for medical bills or getting compensation from the store if they were responsible for what happened.
Below we have listed the five steps to take after slipping and taking a hard tumble while shopping in a store. After that, we strongly advise speaking with a slip and fall lawyer Washington DC injured residents turn to for support.
#1 Get Medical Treatment Before Leaving
The health of the person who slipped and fell is of the utmost importance. So whether it was you or someone you care about that fell, you must call 911 so they can get medically evaluated before leaving. Of course, it’s most crucial that a person’s health is taken care of. But also, secondary to this is if you don’t have certain pieces of evidence related to the incident, you may not have a strong enough case to pursue compensation for injuries.
#2 File a Report with the Store
You must report the slip and fall to the store manager on duty at the time. They will have you complete paperwork and ask for details about how the slip and fall occurred, along with any potential injuries. Ask for a copy of this report for your own records and to give your attorney at our Washington, DC slip and fall injury law firm.
#3 Document the Area
As a component of your claim against the store, you will need to provide evidence of the incident. You can document the area you fell by taking photographs and video on your phone. You can also ask bystanders if they will give you their contact details to provide a statement about what they say later on.
It’s even a good idea to begin an “injury journal” where you include your testimony about how the slip and fall happened through your eyes, and any symptoms you experience in the days to follow. Place what you were wearing in a safe storage bin or basket at home, as these articles of clothing may be used by an attorney from our slip and fall injury law firm in DC during your case as elements of proof.
#4 Do Not Speak with Anyone Else
After reporting the incident to a manager, it is vital that you then do not speak with anyone else at the store about what happened except for an attorney at our DC slip and fall injury law firm. Do not post about it on your social media, and do not answer additional questions by store staff who seem to be concerned for your well being. Remember that most stores want to protect themselves against liability at any cost, so it’s in your best interest to keep things factual and not overshare.
#5 Speak with an Attorney
During this time, an attorney is going to have your best of interest in mind probably more than anyone else. An attorney can represent your case and ensure that you your claim against the store is handled properly. An attorney from our slip and fall injury law firm based in Washington, DC can advise the next steps to take in getting financial restitution for losses such as medical bills, loss of wages from missing work, property damage, pain and suffering, and more.
Please contact our slip and fall injury law firm in Washington, DC at The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. for prompt and experienced legal guidance.
Slip and Fall Lawyer DC
Cities, municipalities, businesses, and private property owners have a responsibility to provide a safe environment. This means that when you have the right not to be injured due to another entities’ carelessness, wrongful actions, or negligence. If you or a loved one are injured because something caused you to slip and fall, you may be entitled to compensation and should consult a slip and fall lawyer DC residents trust, such as The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C.
According to a National Survey on Bicyclist and Pedestrian Attitudes and Behaviors, approximately 24% of pedestrian injuries were due to tripping on uneven or cracked sidewalks, and an additional 17% fell or were injured due to other factors. When the owner or manager of a property was aware of potential hazards, but failed to correct them in a timely manner, a premise liability lawsuit could be filed against them in the event of an injury.
This type of lawsuit is related to injuries caused by slipping, tripping and falling on someone else’s property as the result of the owner’s negligence. If you were injured because of negligence, a competent slip and fall lawyer DC has to offer can help you get the settlement you deserve, including but not limited to reimbursement for medical bills, time off work, and pain and suffering.
Do’s & Don’ts After A Slip and Fall Injury
In the aftermath of a slip and fall accident, there are several suggested do’s and don’ts that, if followed, may help preserve your rights and ensure you get the best possible financial settlement for your injuries.
- Do Seek Medical Treatment. The most important thing is your safety and well-being. Get medical care right away. Bare in mind that your medical records are very important pieces of evidence if you choose to seek compensation for your injuries. This means that you should let your doctor know about every ache or pain you have experienced as a result of the slip and fall.
- Do Contact a A Slip and Fall Lawyer in DC. The sooner you contact a slip and fall lawyer DC trusts, the better off you may be. An experienced lawyer from The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. can take the pressure and worry off of you so that you can focus on what’s most important: healing from your injuries.
- Do Get an Accident Report. If a property owner or manager is on site at the time of injury, you may want to ask them for an incident report. If you feel uncomfortable about doing so, please ask The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. to help you.
- Do Not Admit Anything. If a property owner or manager asks you any questions or tries to get you to admit fault, it is advisable that you do not answer. It is best to talk with them as little as possible.
- Do Gather Evidence. Notate names and contact information of any witnesses, and take down any other relevant information as to what caused your fall, such as obstacles, slippery areas, etc. Details are important.
- Don’t Post on Social Media. Do not write about your injuries or potential lawsuit on social media of any kind. This could create problematic documentation that the defendant’s attorney could use against you later.
- Don’t Talk to Claims Adjusters. If the property owner’s insurance company contacts you in any way, do not speak to them. Refer any and all communication about your case to your slip and fall lawyer DC community members have relied on for over two decades.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are one of the most common types of personal injury cases. They can occur in many different settings and cause minor to serious injuries. Here are the most common causes of slip and fall accidents.
- Snow and ice. In the wintertime, snow and ice are natural occurrences. However, if you walk over snow and ice, you are at risk of suffering a slip and fall accident. That’s why it’s important for property owners to regularly shovel snow off their sidewalks and sprinkle salt. If property owners fail to take these precautionary steps and you suffer an accident, they may be held liable.
- Inadequate lighting. Poor lighting inside building and parking lots is another common cause of slip and fall accidents. If you can’t see where you’re going, you are more likely to slip and fall. To prevent these accidents, building owners need to make sure there is adequate lighting in their hallways, staircases and parking lots at all times.
- Wet floors. As a slip and fall lawyer in D.C. can confirm, wet floors are to blame for a large percentage of slip and fall accidents. Whether it’s caused by a milk spill in a grocery store or grease spill in a factory, wet floors are very hazardous. It’s every builder owner/manager’s responsibility to make sure the liquid spills are cleaned up immediately. Freshly mopped surfaces can also increase the risk of slip and fall accidents. Putting up warning signs may reduce these accidents.
- Broken handrails. Some people need to use handrails as they walk up and down staircases to keep their balance. If the handrails are broken, more people may suffer slip and fall accidents.
- Nursing home neglect. Many slip and fall accidents occur in nursing homes. Some residents have poor balance and other health conditions that can increase the risk of falls. It’s critical for nursing home staff members to watch residents more closely to prevent these types of accidents.
- Clutter. The more objects there are in a person’s pathway, the more likely a slip and fall accident will occur. For example, if there are loose electrical cords or boxes in a work area, employees are more likely to trip and fall over these objects. It’s important to keep areas free of clutter at all times.
If you have been injured in a slip and fall, The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. offers a consultation with a slip and fall lawyer DC residents can trust. Slip and fall accidents typically occur because the owner, manager, or operator of a building or property failed to bring attention to a dangerous situation on the grounds. Our lawyers are well versed in the laws surrounding slip and fall accidents in the DC area, and may be able to answers to your questions.
Understanding Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents can occur anywhere, including hotels, restaurants, shopping malls, residential buildings, private homes, sidewalks, parking lots, or schools. A fall can lead to serious injury or death, especially if the person hits their head in the course of the accident.
Whenever a slip and fall accident occurs, it may be advisable to contact a top slip and fall lawyer DC has to offer as soon as possible. After a consultation, the law firm may be able to tell you whether or not you have a possible case. If so, lawyers may work diligently to determine the cause of the accident and any underlying factors.
The Causes of a Slip and Fall Accident
Slip and fall accidents are not limited to wet floors or icy pavement — they can also be caused by falling objects, or obstacles in the way of a walking path. A slip and fall lawyer DC respects would also note the following causes:
- A piece of masonry deemed to be out of place
- Broken pavement
- Defective flooring
- Slippery surfaces, spills or leaks
- Insufficient flooring
- Inadequate wiring or lighting
Possible Injuries Caused by a Slip and Fall
When you talk to a slip and fall lawyer DC residents turn to, he or she may ask you about the injuries you incurred. The severity may range from scrapes and bruises, to life-threatening injuries or fatalities. The most common injuries lawyers may seek compensation for include broken bones, head trauma or injuries to the back, head, knee, or hip area. Because the effects of a slip and fall may not appear until a few hours later, it may be important to go to an emergency room or urgent care center to be further examined. Once a medical professional has identified the extent of your injuries, stabilized you, and provided official documentation, you may want to consider contacting a slip and fall lawyer in DC to find out what to do next.
The Causes of a Slip and Fall Accident Infographic
Choose the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C.
The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C is your choice for a slip and fall lawyer DC recognizes for sound advice and legal counsel. With decades of combined experienced among our skilled legal team, we have established a solid reputation amongst residents throughout the DC area. When it comes to working with a slip and fall lawyer in DC, you have many legal firms to choose from, but not all are created equal.
When you call a DC slip and fall lawyer from our firm, you can discuss your case during a free and confidential consultation. Afterward, you should have a clearer picture of your legal options so that you can make a decision best suited for your needs and circumstances. Some reasons why people elect to hire our firm include:
- We have over 75 years of combined experience.
- We listen to our clients.
- We offer honest and practical legal advice.
- We will commit all available resources to your slip and fall case.
- We carry out in-depth investigations of slip and fall and other personal injury cases.
- We provide hospital and home visits to those who cannot come to us for consultations.
- We use a contingency fee structure so that you do not pay us until or unless we recover damages on your behalf.
- We are prepared to go to trial if we cannot negotiate a settlement on your behalf.
- We will remain in frequent contact with you as your case progresses.
- We will make every effort to get you the maximum amount of compensation possible.
No matter what the details of your case may be, we encourage you to contact a slip and fall lawyer DC respects from our firm as quickly as possible. During the call, you and our attorney will discuss your case. There is no charge for the first consultation.
It’s important to keep in mind that there are statute of limitations in slip and fall cases. For the best possible outcome, a slip and fall lawyer DC offers will require some time to investigate your case, compile evidence, and build a strong defense. The sooner you contact one of our lawyers, the likelier you will receive a fair settlement.Call The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. today.
Compensation that May Be Available
Every slip and fall case is inherently unique. In general, the worse your injuries are, the more compensation you may be able to collect. For this reason it is prudent to see a medical doctor as soon as possible following the incident. Be sure to tell the doctor of any aches or pains regardless of how minor you might think it to be. A slip and fall lawyer DC provides to residents may review your medical records and extent of damages to determine the value of your case. Typically this damage total will include losses such as:
- All related medical expenses
- Future medical costs
- Physical rehabilitation
- Lost wages from the inability to work
- Pain and suffering
Sometimes, punitive damages are also sought. These damages are meant to punish the negligent party so that another person will not become injured in the same way. If you are the family member who lost a loved one in a slip and fall accident, you might also benefit from working with a slip and fall lawyer DC depends on for advice. Compensation may be available to cover a number of losses related to the death, including funeral expenses.
Slip and Falls are More Complicated than You Think
As a trusted slip and fall lawyer in DC, we see our fair share of clients who are dealing with serious medical issues, all because of a minor slip up at work or elsewhere. Many people underestimate the danger of a slip and fall accident, and only when it’s too late do they finally realize that they should have reported their injuries as soon as possible.
Fortunately, the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. is ready to help you get the compensation you deserve for your slip and fall injury. Read on to learn a little more about what makes slip and falls so dangerous, and don’t hesitate get in touch with us so we can get started on your case.
What Makes Slip and Falls so Dangerous?
They happen all the time. You bump your head on a cabinet, or slip on a puddle of something in the breakroom. They’re minor accidents that cause minor injuries – at least that’s what they look like on the surface. Without a medical professional’s input, there’s no telling how bad a slip and fall injury can get, and it’s important to report a slip and fall when it happens so you can get it looked at in a timely fashion.
Why Don’t People Report Slip and Falls?
Nobody wants to be the office klutz. Someone who slipped and fell into the koi pond in the lobby isn’t going to want to talk about it. Sometimes a person who experienced a slip and fall just wants to move past their little accident, whether through pride or embarrassment. And in some toxic environments, managers may intimidate their employees from reporting their injuries – big or small. Unfortunately, this underreporting can lead to serious consequences later on.
Embarrassment Now or Pain Later – Which Would You Choose?
Without proper reporting (and proper medical attention) you may be setting yourself up for some serious medical bills in the future. And if you experienced a slip and fall in the workplace without telling anyone, you may have to pay those medical bills out of your own pocket. Of course, you’d expect insurance to cover the costs, but worker’s comp will be out of the question if you don’t report your injuries at all.
Fortunately, with the help of a DC slip and fall lawyer from the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C., you can still get the compensation and justice you deserve.
Why Should I Contact a Slip and Fall Lawyer?
If you experienced a slip and fall, you shouldn’t pin it on yourself. It’s easy to blame your own clumsiness when you suffer a minor injury, whether at the office or anywhere else. But you should always ask yourself and important question: Could my injury have been avoided if someone else had been more careful?
At the root of every slip and fall case is another party’s negligence. It could have been the building manager’s fault those stairs weren’t properly spaced, or it could have been your employer’s fault that that spill in the break room wasn’t cleaned up or properly marked. Whatever the specifics, you need to understand that you’re not to blame – and a slip and fall lawyer in DC can prove it. Reach out to us today to get the compensation you need.
Slip and Fall Lawyer Washington DC
Getting a Lawyer For a Slip-And-Fall Injury
When you slip and fall, your first reaction might be to laugh it off. Perhaps you are in a restaurant with large crowds or out on a first date and you try to make light of a potentially embarrassing situation. However, slipping and falling can be extremely serious, and the injuries you can sustain can be life-threatening. The lawyers at The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. understand the ins and outs of slip-and-fall cases and have helped clients file personal injury lawsuits to receive compensation for a number of years. Never let a slip-and-fall accident go without doing your due diligence. Hiring a dedicated slip and fall lawyer Washington, DC trusts can allow you and your family time to heal while we work on your case. For more information on our services, call our office at (202)717-2900 today!
Types Of Injuries From a Slip-And-Fall Accident
Slip-and-fall accidents can cause anywhere from minimal damage to life-altering damage. Below is a list of common injuries you might get after this type of accident. A trusted slip and fall lawyer in Washington, DC can take the burden off of you by handling your case and giving you the chance to heal.
- Head Trauma. If your head was injured as a result of a slip-and-fall accident, it could be as minor as a bump or bruise, to as serious as brain damage or a traumatic brain injury. When this is the case, you might need long-term therapy or even rehabilitation.
- Fractures. One of the most common injuries you can sustain is a fracture or broken bones. In many cases, you might attempt to brace yourself with your arms or even fall flat on your back. When this is the case, healing can be lengthy, and some fractures can even have complications like blood clots.
- Tendon And Ligament Damage. Torn ligaments and tendons can result in an inability to perform routine tasks and include long recovery periods. Many times, healing can only be helped through surgery, becoming costly and time-consuming. A slip and fall lawyer in Washington, DC can be of assistance in getting you compensation for these injuries.
- Spine, Back, Or Neck Problems. The impact of the fall itself can do incredible damage to these areas of your body. This can result in slipped discs, nerve damage, a broken back, and other serious concerns that can lead to chronic pain. Recovery from these painful problems could be chiropractic care, physical therapy, and even surgery.
- Broken Hip. While broken hips are a common injury from slip-and-fall accidents, they are often seen in elderly people. These types of injuries can be more severe when you are older because it can lead to prolonged care, physical therapy, and even infections.
What Does This Mean For Me?
When you are injured from a slip-and-fall accident, not only are you dealing with an incredible amount of pain, but you might also be adding onto that lost income, expensive medical treatments, an inability to function at your regular capacity, and more. A slip and fall lawyer in Washington, DC can assist you in understanding what you can be compensated for and help you get maximum compensation for your injuries.
What Are My Options?
You should never have to deal with a slip-and-fall accident on your own. The Washington, DC slip and fall lawyers at The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. have always treated their clients with care and respect, and understand the pain you are going through. We work hard to help get you back to enjoying your life. For further questions and to schedule an appointment today with one of our slip and fall lawyers in Washington, DC, call our office at (202)717-2900.
Common Slip and Fall Accident Injuries
Slip and fall accidents can occur in many different settings, from grocery stores to parking lots, and can cause many kinds of injuries. Here are common slip and fall accident injuries.
- Head injuries. When people hit their head during a slip and fall accident, they are in danger of sustaining head injuries. Head injuries can be very severe and require immediate medical treatment. Common symptoms of head injuries may include nausea, confusion, dizziness, headaches and sensitivity to light and sound. Severe head injuries can result in long-term behavioral, cognitive and physical changes.
- Broken bones. It is also common for slip and fall accident victims to break bones in their arms, legs or hips. Broken bones are very painful and can take a long time to recover from. A simple break may just require a cast. However, if a bone is broken in more than one place, you may require surgery and rehabilitation.
- Spinal cord injuries. As a Washington DC slip and fall lawyer can confirm, spinal cord injuries are one of the most severe types of slip and fall accident injuries. Common symptoms of these injuries may include numbness, tingling, muscle spasms and loss of bowel or bladder control. In severe cases, spinal cord injuries can cause permanent paralysis. Victims may need long-term rehabilitation and assistive devices.
- Knee injuries. During a slip and fall accident, it is also possible to twist your knee and sustain a knee injury. Knee injuries can cause severe pain, stiffness, swelling, weakness and a popping sound. Treatments for knee injuries may include ice, heat, rest, physical therapy and surgery.
- Facial injuries. Some people may hit their face on the ground in a slip and fall accident. This can result in many types of facial injuries, like a broken nose, jaw fractures, eye injuries and chipped teeth. These injuries are noticeable and can make someone feel self-conscious.
- Cuts and lacerations. Compared to other slip and fall accident injuries, cuts and lacerations might not sound that bad. However, they are nothing to make light of. Cuts and lacerations can cause infection, nerve damage and even permanent scarring if not treated promptly.
- Emotional injuries. Many people associate slip and fall accidents with physical injuries. However, they can also result in emotional injuries, like depression and anxiety. A slip and fall accident can be quite a traumatic experience. Victims may benefit from seeing a mental health counselor.
If you have been hurt in a slip and fall accident, you may want to schedule a consultation with a Washington DC slip and fall lawyer from The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C.
Contacting The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C., A DC Slip and Fall Lawyer
When you’re involved in a slip and fall, time is of the essence. If you have a case, a lawyer may need to carry out an investigation of the accident, identify and speak to possible witnesses, and document evidence. You have rights. Contact The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C., a slip and fall lawyer DC residents can trust, today to help better protect them.
The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C.
922 Pennsylvania Avenue SE, Suite 100
Washington, DC 20003
“Mr Brynn did a good job but i was told my case would stay open because a bill was paid out of my settlement that shouldnt have been paid. But he did such a good job that once again I’m using his services”