Personal Injury Lawyer Washington DC
If your personal injury was caused by someone else’s negligence, it may be in your best interest to speak to a personal injury lawyer Washington DC relies on. Your injuries have likely affected your life in several ways, and you deserve justice. An experienced personal injury lawyer may help you obtain compensation for your injuries.
What Is a Personal Injury Case?
A personal injury case arises when one person fails to exercise reasonable care toward another person, and that breach of duty results in injuries. For example, if you were in a car accident in which the other driver was speeding or talking on a cellphone, you may have a right to sue that person for the damages that you suffered. Other types of personal injury cases involve slip and fall incidents, medical malpractice and dog bites.
What Evidence Do I Need to Provide?
To increase your chances of winning your personal injury lawsuit, you must provide your personal injury lawyer Washington DC trusts with sufficient evidence. Here are the types of evidence that may help your personal injury lawyer in Washington DC win your case:
- Police Report: If you suffered an injury during a car accident, it’s important to obtain a copy of the police report. This report may contain important details about the accident, such as who was at fault.
- Physical Evidence: Physical evidence can play a big part in proving that your injuries resulted from another person’s negligence. For example, if you were involved in a car accident, a dent in your car can show where it was hit. If there is blood on your clothes, it may show that the injuries you suffered are serious.
- Photos: Clear photos can also prove that the accident did take place, and caused your injuries. For instance, if you slipped and fell on ice in front of someone else’s property, take photos of the sidewalk to show that the owner of the property didn’t put salt on the ice.
Should I Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
While some people choose to handle their personal injury cases without a lawyer, it may not be recommended. Getting into any kind of accident can be life-changing. Even if you can heal after your accident, you may still be stuck with hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills. On the other hand, you might be completely unable to heal physically from your personal injury accident and this can result in an inability to work your regular job or an inability to take care of your family.
When this is the case, people often wonder if it is best to hire a Washington, DC personal injury lawyer or if you should go ahead and file a claim on your own. Here are a few benefits of hiring a personal injury lawyer Washington DC respects:
- A Lawyer Knows How Much Your Claim Is Worth: An experienced Washington DC personal injury lawyer may know the value of your personal injury claim, and might help you obtain a higher settlement amount.
- A Lawyer Understands the Legal Process: The legal procedures involved in filing a lawsuit can get complicated. An experienced lawyer knows the ins and outs of the legal process, including which documents have to be filed, and the statutes of limitations for your claim. A lawyer will advocate for you and this can save you a great deal of time.
- A Lawyer Is Motivated to Help You Win: A personal injury lawyer Washington DC counts on likely works on a contingency basis, which means he or she only gets paid if you win your case. This may motivate your lawyer to fight hard to get you the highest settlement possible.
- A Lawyer Negotiates with Insurance Adjusters: Personal injury claims can, at the least, be a headache. The phrase “anything you say can and will be used against you” also applies here, and if you say you are fine after an accident or your injury is not so bad, an insurance adjuster can use this against you. A Washington, DC personal injury lawyer can speak to an adjuster and negotiate on your behalf, likely resulting in standing a firmer ground and knowing if an insurance adjuster offers you a fair settlement.
- A Lawyer Knows Other Professionals: Especially with personal injury cases, you may need the help of other professionals to determine if your settlement is fair or to further strengthen your case. Many law firms can get the help needed from other professionals to build you a proper claim.
- A Lawyer Knows Settlements Don’t Always Work: You may have high hopes that your settlement will be accepted, but insurance adjusters are never out to give you everything you have asked for. When this is the case, a personal injury lawyer Washington, DC can steer you in the right direction of an alternative resolution, such as mediation or arbitration.
- A Lawyer Brings Objectivity To the Table: Working on a personal injury claim for yourself only adds more stress in a time where you are likely in pain and perhaps still angry after an accident. A personal injury lawyer Washington, DC can ensure all decisions you make for your claim are rational and the best options for your situation.
- A Lawyer Will Fight For You At Trial: Unfortunately, if you do not see eye-to-eye with the insurance company on a settlement offer and further methods of resolution have not worked, a Washington, DC personal injury lawyer can represent you in court. This can give you the best possible option when facing the defendant, a jury, and a judge.
Personal injury claims can become complicated quickly. Don’t attempt to take on this case without the help of a personal injury lawyer Washington, DC. If you are still looking for a personal injury lawyer Washington DC offers, contact the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. at (202) 888-0953.