Bicycle Accident Lawyer Washington, DC
If you were riding your bike along the road and a car hit you, it is imperative that you know you have rights and that a Washington, DC bicycle accident lawyer from the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. can help you. In this situation, both parties might say that the accident was not their fault, but remember that you are under no obligation to apologize for the accident or admit fault in any way. After your accident, your bike may be unusable and you may be suffering from severe physical injuries. To help you through this legal matter, contact a bicycle accident attorney Washington, DC trusts today. We have been in this business for many years working in the Washington, DC area and work hard to ensure our clients get the care they deserve and receive compensation for the injuries they sustain. If you have recently been involved in an automobile-bicycle accident and would like to discuss your situation with an attorney, call a member of our team today.
What To Do After the Accident Occurs
Immediately following the accident, you may feel the need to inspect your bicycle for damage or even argue with the driver who hit you with his car. However, there are a few things you should always remember to do after your accident and know that blaming the driver at the accident scene does not benefit anyone. Instead, if you are physically up to it, the bicycle accident lawyer Washington, DC relies on recommends you go through a mental checklist.
- Always check yourself for injuries. If you are awake and aware after an accident, the first thing you should do is check your physical condition. While you will likely experience some bruising after the accident, check to see if anything feels broken or fractured. Did your helmet come off during the accident? Look for signs of blood and check to see if you can find any holes in your clothing to see if something pierced your skin.
- Once you have checked your body for damage, get into a safe area immediately. Not only is it dangerous for you to be in the street with other moving vehicles, but a car could also hit you again or you could cause another accident. Pick up your bike and move to a shoulder or a sidewalk. If not, a police officer could even ticket you for obstructing traffic.
- Assess the damage done to your bicycle. While you can always get another bike, it is currently your ride to get home. If it is unusable, call a friend or a ride-sharing service to help you get home or to your destination.
- Call 9-1-1. Having a police officer on the scene can be valuable. They can write up a police report and document the facts of the scene.
- Finally, exchange your contact information and insurance information with the driver of the car. Having an officer at this point can also be helpful to ensure that your conversation is cordial.
Getting in Contact with a Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Washington, DC
We recommend that you contact our office after these steps to ensure you have the best representation possible when filing a claim against the driver for their negligence. To speak with a bicycle accident lawyer in Washington, DC from the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C., or to set up your first consultation, call our office today.