Wrongful Death Attorney Washington DC
SEARCHING FOR THE BEST WRONGFUL DEATH LAWYER WASHINGTON DC HAS WORKED WITH
If you’ve experienced a death in the family and need the most helpful wrongful death lawyer Washington DC has to offer, you’ve come to the right place. Coping with the loss of a loved one and figuring out how to move on is challenging and certainly doesn’t seem to get any easier over time. In addition to the heartache, worrying about how to survive financially can be extremely difficult and worrisome for everyone involved. Family, friends, coworkers, and neighbors can find it difficult to accept the loss of a loved one, especially if they feel that someone’s life was taken for unjustifiable reasons.
Accidents can happen at any given moment, so that’s why it’s important to be prepared. Several instances when you may need a reputable wrongful death attorney Washington DC trusts include:
- Slip and fall accidents;
- Drowning accidents;
- Dangerous roadways;
- Defective vehicles;
- Automobile accidents;
- Workplace injuries; and
- Medical malpractice.
Automobile accidents are a leading reason for filing a wrongful death claim. If someone was driving irresponsibly before an accident, and someone’s death was a result of that negligence, then there are still options for the family to file a wrongful death claim to compensate for emotional damages. Hiring a professional personal injury lawyer Washington DC has known for years can become a huge advantage to your case. Rather than fighting the battle alone, talk to someone who has experience and knowledge and help support you through this trying time. Whether you’ve been in a car accident, motorcycle accident, or have been a victim of a workplace injury, there is always help available any time of the day.
Another important fact regarding wrongful death is that thousands of people die every year from medical malpractice. Misdiagnosing or failing to diagnose a patient can be classified as medical malpractice and should be taken very seriously. Even after someone signs arbitration agreements before seeing a doctor, there are still legal options to ensure your family does not have to suffer emotionally and financially. Talking to a qualified wrongful death attorney Washington DC during a free consultation will steer you in the right direction to determine if you have a case or not. Unfortunately, the truth is that nothing can bring back a loved one after they are gone, but reliving their memory in joy and without financial worry is the main objective with wrongful death claims.
Losing a family member is one of the most painful times in life. Make sure you get all of your questions answered by legal professionals right away so you’ll never have to wonder “what if?” There are many circumstances when you may need to seek legal help to answer all the questions you have. The length of the process to file a wrongful death claim can vary from state to state, so talk to the best lawyer you can. Contact a Washington DC wrongful death lawyer immediately to find out if your specific circumstances qualify to build a case.
Five Common Issues in Filing a Wrongful Death Suit
Wrongful death suits usually get filed when a family member dies due to negligence or carelessness of someone else, a caregiver for example could be liable for an elderly person’s death. Each case is its own, but there are some commonalities. Here are five common issues you could run into when filing a wrongful death suit.
Who can bring a wrongful death lawsuit?
States’ wrongful death statutes vary widely in specifying who can bring a wrongful death suit. However, there are some common categories of eligible people in this order:
- A surviving spouse; or
- If there is no surviving spouse, the children of the deceased; or
- If there is no surviving spouse or children, the deceased’s parents; or
- If there are no surviving parents, the deceased’s estate.
When can the lawsuit be filed?
There is a statute of limitations involved in wrongful death lawsuits. Some states require a person file a claim of wrongful death of a family member within two years of the date of death. Failing to do so will probably bar one from proceeding with a suit forever. There is also a survival statute to be considered if the deceased survived an accident but then died afterwards due to complications resulting from the accident, then an action can be compounded with the wrongful death claim. Families should research the particular statues of their state. Make sure to know the difference between the limitation periods for a wrongful death case and for a survival case.
Preserving the Case
You should begin on the lawsuit immediately, do not wait until just before the statute of limitations. Crucial evidence could be lost if you wait too long. For example memories of witnesses, or the witnesses themselves, can disappear and no longer be of use to your case. The most important step is one of the first: hire a seasoned wrongful death attorney to gather all the relevant evidence for your case. They can aid your case by preserving evidence and investigating all leads in connection to the deceased’s death.
Proving Your Case
Insurance companies and insurance defense attorneys complicate establishing wrongful death. They will do anything to avoid compensating a wrongful death claim because they can retain immense losses. A claimant must show that the deceased victim died as a direct result of the negligence or carelessness of the defendant(s). Then it must be proven that surviving beneficiaries and/or family members existed and that the law allows them to seek damages.
What Counts for Eligible Damages?
Damages are classified as economic or noneconomic.
- Economic Damages: financial losses the deceased’s family or heirs have become subject to. Examples include income and other financial support that was lost due to the death of their family member/loved one.
- Noneconomic Damages: the emotional aspects of loss including grief and sorrow resulting from the death of the deceased. This is more difficult to prove because of complicated regulations of civil procedure and evidence.
Recovering Damages in a Wrongful Death Suit
The sad fact is, nothing can bring your loved one back to life. It’s a loss that can never be replaced. For this reason, sometimes it’s important to make an example of the negligent party to send a signal that their behavior is not tolerable. By severely punishing them on a financial level, it may force others to avoid similar destructive behavior. Punitive damages, when awarded in a wrongful death lawsuit, can achieve this purpose. A judge or jury does not award punitive damages in every case, but your Washington DC wrongful death lawyer can pursue them if he or she believes it is warranted. In addition, you and your family may qualify for recovering the following types of damages:
- All medical costs associated with initially treating your loved one. This includes first responder treatment, ambulance transportation, surgery, medications, doctors visits, and any other medical care he or she received. There is not a time limit but you should consult a wrongful death lawyer Washington DC families work with in similar circumstances to determine the extent of qualifying medical expenses.
- Wages, salary, benefits, and any other financial income that the deceased would have been expected to earn in their lifetime. A wrongful death lawyer Washington DC offers can document what this sum total might be, based on pay stubs, the age and overall health before the accident, industry wage statistics, and other available information.
- Loss of companionship. This is a form of emotional damage that is more challenging to place a dollar value on and will require the assistance of a wrongful death lawyer Washington DC residents trust from The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. One of our attorneys can determine in how many ways your loved one’s passing affects your lifestyle, from loving companion to contributions to keeping the home, to daily tasks that now you must hire someone to handle. Each family’s situation is different and must be considered on an individual basis.
Compassion and Understanding
Losing a loved one in an avoidable accident is a tragedy on so many levels. Very likely this will be the most difficult time in your life and will be filled with many challenges. Our attorneys at The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. fully understand this and along with with their legal skills, they bring compassion to the table. When you need a wrongful death lawyer Washington DC provides, call our office to arrange a free consultation. We can review your case at no charge and share with you how we may be able to be of service to you during this challenging time.
A Respected Wrongful Death Lawyer in Washington DC
The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. offers more than 75 years of combined experience representing the legal needs of accident victims and their families. If you have lost someone in an avoidable accident, talk to us about how we can help get justice for you and your loved ones. Call us today to speak with a wrongful death lawyer Washington DC respects.