If you were hurt in a pedestrian accident, you may want to consult a personal injury lawyer Capitol Hill DC residents trust. At the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C., we have more than 75 years of experience helping individuals from all walks of life. We are dedicated to protecting the rights of our clients and fighting for the protection they deserve.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
As a personal injury lawyer in Capitol Hill DC can attest, pedestrian accidents occur every day. Let’s take a look at some of the common causes of pedestrian accidents:
- Lack of Visibility: Pedestrians are more likely to get hit by vehicles when it’s dark outside because there is less visibility. When walking at night, it’s important for pedestrians to wear bright clothing so that drivers can better see them.
- Unmarked Crosswalks: A personal injury lawyer Capitol Hill DC locals respect has seen many pedestrian accidents occur at intersections because the crosswalks are unmarked. To reduce their risk of getting hit, pedestrians should use signaled crosswalks as much as possible.
- Distracted Drivers: If drivers are using a cell phone or are distracted in some other way, they are less likely to see pedestrians crossing the street and may hit them. Drivers should eliminate any possible distractions when behind the wheel to avoid accidents.
- Weather: As a personal injury lawyer Capitol Hill DC residents count on can confirm, weather can also increase the risk of pedestrian accidents. For example, if there is heavy rain, drivers may not be able to see the roads as well and as a result possibly hit a pedestrian.
- Speeding: When motorists drive over the speed limit, they risk hitting pedestrians who are crossing the street. Driving too fast also requires more time to stop the vehicle. For these reasons, it’s important for drivers to obey the speed limit.
- Drunk Driving: Drivers who are under the influence of alcohol or narcotics have slower reactions times and can’t focus on the road as clearly. They can hit and seriously injure pedestrians if they cannot see them or correctly anticipate when they need to slow or stop.
Compensation Available for Pedestrian Accidents
If you were involved in a pedestrian accident, there are a variety of damages you be eligible to recover, including:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
If the defendant caused the accident on purpose, you may be awarded punitive damages as well.
Scheduling a Meeting with a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you want to pursue compensation for a pedestrian accident, it may be in your best interest to schedule a consultation with a Capitol Hill personal injury lawyer. He or she can evaluate your case and advise you of your legal options.
A personal injury lawyer Capitol Hill DC locals depend on may ask you several questions about your case, such as where it occurred and what injuries you suffered. Be sure to include as many details as possible in your answers. If you have any evidence such as medical records and receipts, remember to bring them with you to the meeting.
If you are looking for a personal injury lawyer Capitol Hill DC offer, contact the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. at 202-544-7200.