Truck Accident Lawyer DC
If you have sustained injuries in a truck accident, you may want to get in touch with a DC truck accident lawyer. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages and other losses. A lawyer from The Law Office Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. can help you file a timely claim against the negligent parties. We understand that you are in a difficult situation and want to offer our assistance.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Truck accidents occur quite frequently and are more likely to cause catastrophic injuries, like amputations, burns and traumatic brain injuries. Here are some of the most common causes of truck accidents.
- Distracted driving. Truck drivers have to spend long hours on the road, which become tedious after a while. Some drivers may try to distract themselves with various things, like texting on a cell phone, changing the radio station, eating or looking outside the window. Unfortunately, these actions can cause truck drivers to take their eyes and attention off the road ahead, which can cause an accident.
- Speeding. Truck drivers are responsible for delivering various goods around the country and are pressured to do it on time. If they are behind schedule, they may be pressured to increase their speed to make their deadlines. Speeding can lower reaction times, increasing the chances of a collision. The faster a truck is traveling, the more severe injuries it is likely to cause in an accident.
- Lack of training. Operating a commercial truck is much different than driving a passenger vehicle. That is why truck drivers should have extensive training before getting behind the wheel. However, as a DC truck accident lawyer can confirm, some trucking companies may skimp on training to save money. Truck drivers who don’t have the proper training are more likely to cause accidents.
- Fatigue. As mentioned above, truck drivers often spend long hours on the road. After a while, this can take a toll on the body. Truck drivers who drive too many consecutive hours without proper rest may become fatigued. They may have trouble focusing on the road ahead and have lower reaction times. They may even fall asleep behind the wheel.
- Inadequate maintenance. Commercial trucks require regular maintenance to continue running properly. However, some trucking companies may skimp on maintenance to save on costs. Unfortunately, this can cause an accident. For instance, if a truck’s brakes are worn out, the truck might have trouble coming to a stop.
- Drunk driving. Truck driving can be a stressful job at times. Some truck drivers may turn to alcohol to cope. If they get behind the wheel while under the influence of alcohol, they may have impaired judgment, lowered reaction times and reduced focus, which can all contribute to an accident.
Schedule a Consultation
If you have been hurt in a truck accident, you should schedule a consultation with a DC truck accident lawyer from The Law Office Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. to talk about your case in detail.