Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Washington DC
If you have sustained injuries in a motorcycle crash, you may want to speak with a Washington DC motorcycle accident lawyer. You may be entitled to compensation for your losses. A lawyer from The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. can help you file a timely claim.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Riding on a motorcycle on a warm and sunny day can be an enjoyable experience. However, motorcycles also face more hazards on the road and are at greater risk of serious injuries. Here are the most common causes of motorcycle accidents.
- Speeding. Motorists and motorcyclists who drive above the speed limit can cause an accident. Speeding can lower reaction times and increase the severity of injuries in accidents.
- Lane splitting. Lane splitting occurs when motorcyclists ride between stopped or slow moving traffic. Some motorcycles may get impatient with heavy traffic and try to get out of it faster by lane splitting. Unfortunately, lane splitting can increase the risk of an accident. Since motorists aren’t expecting motorcyclists to ride between two lanes of traffic, they are more likely to crash into them.
- Car doors. A car door accident occurs when a motorcyclist runs into a car door that opens directly in front of them. In these cases, an accident is very difficult to avoid and the driver of the vehicle would be held responsible.
- Inexperience. As a Washington DC motorcycle accident lawyer can confirm, some motorcycle accidents occur due to inexperience. Operating a motorcycle is quite different than driving a traditional vehicle. That’s why motorcyclists should take a motorcycle safety class before getting on the road. They will learn how to operate their motorcycle safely and avoid hazards.
- Alcohol and drug use. Operating a vehicle or motorcycle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is very dangerous and can result in an accident. These substances can impair judgment, reduce vision and lower reaction times.
- Motorcycle defects. Just regular vehicles, motorcycles can have both manufacturing and design defects. Unfortunately, these defects can contribute to accidents. If a defect is the cause of an accident, the manufacturer may be held liable.
How to Avoid a Motorcycle Accident
The idea of getting in a motorcycle accident is scary, but it is possible to reduce your risk. Here are some tips to avoid a motorcycle accident.
- Avoid distractions, like cellphones, foods and beverages when you’re behind a motorcycle. Focus your entire attention on the road ahead.
- Always obey the speed limit, even if other vehicles are going faster.
- Don’t ride your motorcycle in bad weather conditions, like rain and snow, because they can make the roads slippery and impact visibility.
- Wear a helmet. Although putting on a helmet may not be able to prevent an accident, it can protect against serious head injuries in the event of a crash.
If you have been hurt in a motorcycle crash, you should schedule a consultation with a Washington DC motorcycle accident lawyer from The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. today.