Personal Injury Lawyer Washington DC
When you sustain a serious injury in an accident, it’s sometimes necessary to seek legal counsel from an experienced personal injury lawyer Washington DC residents recommend. At The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C., our lawyers have provided valuable legal counsel to residents across the Washington DC region for 75 years. We have encountered many different kinds of personal injury cases through our clients and we understand that no two cases are handled in the same way. When you need a personal injury lawyer Washington DC has to offer, our firm should be a top choice.
Types of Personal Injury Cases
As an experienced personal injury lawyer in Washington DC might attest, there are many different types of accidents that could justify taking legal action. These accidents may include:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Commercial truck accidents
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents
- Hit and run accidents
- Slip and fall
- Medical malpractice
- Defective products
This list is far from exhaustive, of course. An injured person may decide that he/she wishes to seek financial compensation after virtually any type of accident, as long as another person (or organization) is responsible for the accident. To determine if your accident could potentially warrant a personal injury claim or lawsuit, it is often recommended to speak about your case specifically with a personal injury lawyer.
General Legal Terms for Personal Injury Claims
If you are involved in a personal injury lawsuit, you may hear some unfamiliar legal terms. The following are some of the more frequent terms. Your personal injury lawyer Washington DC can provide is always happy to answer any questions you may have about the following words and phrases.
Statute of Limitations: The laws of the state you live in decide what types of injuries and accidents may qualify for personal injury claims. The law also sets a time period in which the claim must be brought forward. This is referred to as the statute of limitation. Though not a state, Washington DC has laws regarding the statute of limitations for personal injury claims as well. In general, personal injury claims that are filed due to the other party’s negligence typically have a two to three year limit on when the injured party can file the claim. There may be some exceptions to that time limit, and your personal injury attorney can tell you what the limit is for your situation. In the majority of situations, if the statute of limitations has passed, any claim you file would be dismissed by the court.
Torts: A tort is a wrongful act or wrongful omission by one party that results in the harm of another party. When a person files a personal injury lawsuit, it is legally referred to as a tort. Most torts are based on negligence that the at-fault party did not commit on purpose, such as a car accident or slip and fall accident.
An intentional tort is a wrongful act that was committed on purpose. In many cases, the intentional tort is also a criminal act. Intentional torts frequently end up being tried in both criminal and civil courts in Washington DC. Examples of intentional torts are assault and battery or murder.
It is important to note that just because criminal charges are filed in an intentional tort, the only way damages are awarded is if the case is litigated in civil court and the defendant is found guilty there. There are many cases where a defendant is found not guilty in the criminal trial, but guilty in the civil trial. A Washington DC personal injury lawyer may take care of the civil court proceedings, while another trial attorney may handle criminal proceedings.
Negligence: When a tort occurs because of a person’s failure to act with care or because of their carelessness, this is referred to as negligence. It is the basis of the majority of Washington DC personal injury claims. There are four elements that must be proven in order for a victim to prevail in a personal injury claim:
· The at-fault party had an obligation to the victim (i.e. a vehicle driver has an obligation to other drivers to not run red lights).
· The at-fault party breached that obligation.
· That violation caused injury or damage to the victim.
· There are actual damages that do exist.
Pain and Suffering: The pain from the injury that the victim experienced in the past, is still experiencing, and will likely suffer in the future. That intensity of pain is considered when both parties are negotiating a fair settlement.
How a Washington DC Personal Injury Lawyer Might Help
Many accident victims choose to seek counsel from a lawyer when they wish to take legal action. While there are many reasons why you might be considering the same, here are some of the more common reasons why clients seek counsel from a personal injury lawyer Washington DC can provide:
- Reliable counsel and knowledge of local laws: Hiring a local lawyer may be pivotal in a personal injury case. State laws vary quite a bit when it comes to personal injury regulations and requirements.
- Assistance throughout negotiations: The majority of personal injury cases are handled outside of the courtroom. This is because, in many cases, it’s possible for both sides to come to an agreement and determine a fair settlement. Some clients feel more comfortable in negotiations when they have a trained legal professional acting as their representative — especially if a difficult insurance company is on the other side of these discussions.
- Preparation for going to court (if necessary): When a settlement cannot be reached through informal means, it may be necessary to file an official lawsuit. The process of going to court can be very time-consuming, expensive, and confusing — which is exactly why a personal injury lawyer might be very beneficial. While the lawyer is able to take over the stressful part of preparing for court, the victim is better able to focus on recovery.
Contact a Local Personal Injury Lawyer Washington DC Depends On
When you need a personal injury lawyer you can count on, the lawyers at The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. are here to help. We understand that there are many factors involved in each case, and these factors may have a substantial impact on the outcome of every case. We pride ourselves on providing our clients with trustworthy and reliable counsel that is specific to their case.
For more information about The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C., or to speak with a top personal injury lawyer Washington DC trusts, contact us today.