Open/Close Menu DC, MD, VA Criminal Lawyer

Car Accident Lawyer

When you’re in a car accident, a police officer will arrive on the scene to fill out a report. He or she may take pictures, speak with the individuals involved and collect a lot of information. With everything the officer collected, a police report will be made. Not sure what a police report is? Check it out!

What Is a Car Accident Police Report?

A report about a car accident, put together by a police officer, is a document stating what happened as far as the officer can tell. He or she will include factual information and opinions, as well as statements made by witnesses. This summary is all put together into a police report.

How Can One Obtain a Copy?

As someone involved in an accident, you have a right to your car accident police report. You can obtain it in one of two ways.

  1. Contact the police department of the officer who responded to your accident and ask for a copy of the report. This will cost you a one-time fee, which is generally around $15. If the officer gave you an ID number at the scene of the accident, you can use that to obtain the right report. Otherwise, you can typically offer your name along with the date, time and location of your crash so the officer can find the report and get it to you.
  2. Contact your insurance company to see if they have a copy of your report already. Most insurance companies jump right on this after they receive notification of your accident, and if yours does have a copy, they will typically send one to you at no cost.

Will There Ever Be a Delay?

If you are having a hard time getting hold of your report, there’s a possibility it’s simply not finished yet. Some police officers take a week or more to investigate the accident and finalize the report. If that’s your situation, patiently wait for it to become available.

Can the Report Be Used in Court?

There is a possibility you can use the report in court if your situation ends up in small claims court. If you go to superior court, there’s a possibility you won’t be able to use some or all of the report due to hearsay. Speak with your lawyer to try and figure out whether your report will be allowed or not.

Contacting a Lawyer to Begin Your Case

If you were in a car accident and are trying to get a hold of your police report. Contact your car accident lawyer today for help beginning your case.

© 2024 The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. Powered By SEO Company For Lawyers | Sitemap

Skip to toolbar