Every day hundreds of people are injured from slip and fall accidents, due to unsafe public or private areas. When it comes to a slip and fall case, whether an incident qualifies for compensation can be tricky. During a claim process, it can be normal for people to feel frustrated and stuck. We want to help you find the answers, so here we have listed some commonly asked questions for slip and fall scenarios.
What are the Most Common Reasons for Slip & Fall?
A slip and fall can happen at any time, and anywhere. The most frequent scenarios in which an accident occurs can include the following:
- Public pavement defects or cracks
- Ice & snow accumulation
- Worn, raised or torn carpets
- Inadequate lighting in halls or walkaways
- Broken or missing handrails
- Spilled food or drinks on floors
- Stray wires or electrical cording
What Steps Can Someone Take After an Injury?
Your health is the top priority after a slip and fall injury. There are five main steps to take following the event:
- Seek Medical Attention: see a doctor so all injures can be attended to and are properly documented.
- Report the Accident: report the accident to the appropriate person or management staff, depending on where the injury occurred (store, sidewalk or while visiting a home). Get a copy of the written incident for your own files.
- Document the Scene: gather contact information from witnesses, take photographs, write down details such as what you were doing right before the fall, how you fell, time and date. The clothing you were wearing including shoes may be useful evidence later on, so keep them stored away.
- Do Not Give a Statement: try to stay calm and do not speak too much about the details of your injury until you have contacted an attorney. Do not openly assert blame nor accept blame for the accident.
- Consult with an Attorney: an experienced attorney can help you with the legal process and work towards increasing your chances of receiving compensation from the responsible party.
How Much is a Case Worth?
The value and potential compensation varies based on many factors. Each case can differ in little or large ways, so a general answer can be difficult to provide. The value of your case can constantly change depending on how much medical bills have accumulated and if you lost wages due to injuries. Many people choose to seek legal representation, due to being unfamiliar with injury cases and not being sure how to proceed.
Slip and fall injuries can be serious, ranging from mild cuts and bruising to more severe broken bones and concussions. Understanding how to handle a slip and fall if it ever happens to you or a loved one can help during the legal process if you decide to file a claim. Maintaining a folder with all relevant paperwork, statements and photographs related to incident can help serve as evidence down the line. Contacting a personal injury lawyer citizens rely on can help you with any questions you may have.