Open/Close Menu DC, MD, VA Criminal Lawyer

Car Accident Lawyer

Accidents will happen! It’s just something we have to learn to accept is a part of life. But if you’ve ever had the unfortunate experience of being in a car accident, it’s certainly a relief to know that the other person’s insurance company will be able to cover the cost of the damages. Right?

But what do you do when it’s discovered that the person’s policy has lapsed, or they do not carry enough insurance? What if you are in a hit and run accident and cannot identify the other driver at all?

As scary as it may be to think about these things, these situations occur more often than you think. Our team of attorneys at Butler Law Firm handles cases like these on a daily basis. Keep reading to see what your options are should you find yourself facing similar circumstances.

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage

No one wants to deal with all of the headaches that come with the aftermath of a car accident, especially when you are not the driver at fault. However, if you were in an accident with an uninsured motorist your situation may be a bit more challenging.

You will likely have to contact your own insurance company to cover the damages to your vehicle. Assuming that you have insurance, you can purchase uninsured motorist coverage as an add-on to your standard policy. The coverage will ensure that you are protected, should you find yourself in an accident with a driver who has no insurance, and who is at fault for the damage to your vehicle.

Just like uninsured motorist coverage, underinsured motorist coverage covers damages in an accident where the at-fault driver does not have enough coverage to pay for your injuries or vehicle damages. You can purchase this coverage as an add-on to your existing policy. This will help cover the difference of the at-fault driver’s coverage and the total amount of your losses.

What do I do Next after the Accident?

If you’ve been in a car accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, you should first contact the police to document the accident. After speaking with the police your next course of action should be to call your insurance company.

Your insurance agent will be able to tell you exactly how your coverage applies. If you suffered any serious medical injuries not covered by your policy, your next move may be to file a lawsuit.

Filing a Lawsuit

If your vehicle is struck by an uninsured motorist, you may have the option to file a lawsuit against the other driver with the assistance of a car accident lawyer. Filing such a case is usually the only way to collect any underinsured motorist coverage to which you may be entitled.


© 2024 The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. Powered By SEO Company For Lawyers | Sitemap

Skip to toolbar