Slip and Fall Lawyer DC
Cities, municipalities, businesses, and private property owners have a responsibility to provide a safe environment. This means that when you have the right not to be injured due to another entities’ carelessness, wrongful actions, or negligence. If you or a loved one are injured because something caused you to slip and fall, you may be entitled to compensation and should consult a slip and fall lawyer DC residents trust, such as The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C.
According to a National Survey on Bicyclist and Pedestrian Attitudes and Behaviors, approximately 24% of pedestrian injuries were due to tripping on uneven or cracked sidewalks, and an additional 17% fell or were injured due to other factors. When the owner or manager of a property was aware of potential hazards, but failed to correct them in a timely manner, a premise liability lawsuit could be filed against them in the event of an injury.
This type of lawsuit is related to injuries caused by slipping, tripping and falling on someone else’s property as the result of the owner’s negligence. If you were injured because of negligence, a competent slip and fall lawyer DC has to offer can help you get the settlement you deserve, including but not limited to reimbursement for medical bills, time off work, and pain and suffering.
Do’s & Don’ts After A Slip and Fall Injury
In the aftermath of a slip and fall accident, there are several suggested do’s and don’ts that, if followed, may help preserve your rights and ensure you get the best possible financial settlement for your injuries.
- Do Seek Medical Treatment. The most important thing is your safety and well-being. Get medical care right away. Bare in mind that your medical records are very important pieces of evidence if you choose to seek compensation for your injuries. This means that you should let your doctor know about every ache or pain you have experienced as a result of the slip and fall.
- Do Contact a A Slip and Fall Lawyer in DC. The sooner you contact a slip and fall lawyer DC trusts, the better off you may be. An experienced lawyer from The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. can take the pressure and worry off of you so that you can focus on what’s most important: healing from your injuries.
- Do Get an Accident Report. If a property owner or manager is on site at the time of injury, you may want to ask them for an incident report. If you feel uncomfortable about doing so, please ask The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. to help you.
- Do Not Admit Anything. If a property owner or manager asks you any questions or tries to get you to admit fault, it is advisable that you do not answer. It is best to talk with them as little as possible.
- Do Gather Evidence. Notate names and contact information of any witnesses, and take down any other relevant information as to what caused your fall, such as obstacles, slippery areas, etc. Details are important.
- Don’t Post on Social Media. Do not write about your injuries or potential lawsuit on social media of any kind. This could create problematic documentation that the defendant’s attorney could use against you later.
- Don’t Talk to Claims Adjusters. If the property owner’s insurance company contacts you in any way, do not speak to them. Refer any and all communication about your case to your slip and fall lawyer DC community members have relied on for over two decades.
Get Help Today!
You don’t have to go through this alone. The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. has decades of experience representing clients like you in slip and fall cases. We will handle as many of the details for you as possible so as to alleviate the daily stresses of your case. Please don’t wait to call a slip and fall lawyer DC provides for a free case review.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents are one of the most common types of personal injury cases. They can occur in many different settings and cause minor to serious injuries. Here are the most common causes of slip and fall accidents.
- Snow and ice. In the wintertime, snow and ice are natural occurrences. However, if you walk over snow and ice, you are at risk of suffering a slip and fall accident. That’s why it’s important for property owners to regularly shovel snow off their sidewalks and sprinkle salt. If property owners fail to take these precautionary steps and you suffer an accident, they may be held liable.
- Inadequate lighting. Poor lighting inside building and parking lots is another common cause of slip and fall accidents. If you can’t see where you’re going, you are more likely to slip and fall. To prevent these accidents, building owners need to make sure there is adequate lighting in their hallways, staircases and parking lots at all times.
- Wet floors. As a slip and fall lawyer in D.C. can confirm, wet floors are to blame for a large percentage of slip and fall accidents. Whether it’s caused by a milk spill in a grocery store or grease spill in a factory, wet floors are very hazardous. It’s every builder owner/manager’s responsibility to make sure the liquid spills are cleaned up immediately. Freshly mopped surfaces can also increase the risk of slip and fall accidents. Putting up warning signs may reduce these accidents.
- Broken handrails. Some people need to use handrails as they walk up and down staircases to keep their balance. If the handrails are broken, more people may suffer slip and fall accidents.
- Nursing home neglect. Many slip and fall accidents occur in nursing homes. Some residents have poor balance and other health conditions that can increase the risk of falls. It’s critical for nursing home staff members to watch residents more closely to prevent these types of accidents.
- Clutter. The more objects there are in a person’s pathway, the more likely a slip and fall accident will occur. For example, if there are loose electrical cords or boxes in a work area, employees are more likely to trip and fall over these objects. It’s important to keep areas free of clutter at all times.
If you have been injured in a slip and fall, The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. offers a consultation with a slip and fall lawyer DC residents can trust. Slip and fall accidents typically occur because the owner, manager, or operator of a building or property failed to bring attention to a dangerous situation on the grounds. Our lawyers are well versed in the laws surrounding slip and fall accidents in the DC area, and may be able to answers to your questions.
Understanding Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents can occur anywhere, including hotels, restaurants, shopping malls, residential buildings, private homes, sidewalks, parking lots, or schools. A fall can lead to serious injury or death, especially if the person hits their head in the course of the accident.
Whenever a slip and fall accident occurs, it may be advisable to contact a top slip and fall lawyer DC has to offer as soon as possible. After a consultation, the law firm may be able to tell you whether or not you have a possible case. If so, lawyers may work diligently to determine the cause of the accident and any underlying factors.
The Causes of a Slip and Fall Accident
Slip and fall accidents are not limited to wet floors or icy pavement — they can also be caused by falling objects, or obstacles in the way of a walking path. A slip and fall lawyer DC respects would also note the following causes:
- A piece of masonry deemed to be out of place
- Broken pavement
- Defective flooring
- Slippery surfaces, spills or leaks
- Insufficient flooring
- Inadequate wiring or lighting
Possible Injuries Caused by a Slip and Fall
When you talk to a slip and fall lawyer DC residents turn to, he or she may ask you about the injuries you incurred. The severity may range from scrapes and bruises, to life-threatening injuries or fatalities. The most common injuries lawyers may seek compensation for include broken bones, head trauma or injuries to the back, head, knee, or hip area. Because the effects of a slip and fall may not appear until a few hours later, it may be important to go to an emergency room or urgent care center to be further examined. Once a medical professional has identified the extent of your injuries, stabilized you, and provided official documentation, you may want to consider contacting a slip and fall lawyer in DC to find out what to do next.
Choose the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C.
The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C is your choice for a slip and fall lawyer DC recognizes for sound advice and legal counsel. With decades of combined experienced among our skilled legal team, we have established a solid reputation amongst residents throughout the DC area. When it comes to working with a slip and fall lawyer in DC, you have many legal firms to choose from, but not all are created equal.
When you call a DC slip and fall lawyer from our firm, you can discuss your case during a free and confidential consultation. Afterward, you should have a clearer picture of your legal options so that you can make a decision best suited for your needs and circumstances. Some reasons why people elect to hire our firm include:
- We have over 75 years of combined experience.
- We listen to our clients.
- We offer honest and practical legal advice.
- We will commit all available resources to your slip and fall case.
- We carry out in-depth investigations of slip and fall and other personal injury cases.
- We provide hospital and home visits to those who cannot come to us for consultations.
- We use a contingency fee structure so that you do not pay us until or unless we recover damages on your behalf.
- We are prepared to go to trial if we cannot negotiate a settlement on your behalf.
- We will remain in frequent contact with you as your case progresses.
- We will make every effort to get you the maximum amount of compensation possible.
No matter what the details of your case may be, we encourage you to contact a slip and fall lawyer DC respects from our firm as quickly as possible. During the call, you and our attorney will discuss your case. There is no charge for the first consultation.
It’s important to keep in mind that there are statute of limitations in slip and fall cases. For the best possible outcome, a slip and fall lawyer DC offers will require some time to investigate your case, compile evidence, and build a strong defense. The sooner you contact one of our lawyers, the likelier you will receive a fair settlement.Call The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. today.
Compensation that May Be Available
Every slip and fall case is inherently unique. In general, the worse your injuries are, the more compensation you may be able to collect. For this reason it is prudent to see a medical doctor as soon as possible following the incident. Be sure to tell the doctor of any aches or pains regardless of how minor you might think it to be. A slip and fall lawyer DC provides to residents may review your medical records and extent of damages to determine the value of your case. Typically this damage total will include losses such as:
- All related medical expenses
- Future medical costs
- Physical rehabilitation
- Lost wages from the inability to work
- Pain and suffering
Sometimes, punitive damages are also sought. These damages are meant to punish the negligent party so that another person will not become injured in the same way. If you are the family member who lost a loved one in a slip and fall accident, you might also benefit from working with a slip and fall lawyer DC depends on for advice. Compensation may be available to cover a number of losses related to the death, including funeral expenses.
Contacting The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C., A DC Slip and Fall Lawyer
When you’re involved in a slip and fall, time is of the essence. If you have a case, a lawyer may need to carry out an investigation of the accident, identify and speak to possible witnesses, and document evidence. You have rights. Contact The Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C., a slip and fall lawyer DC residents can trust, today to help better protect them.
Slip and Falls are More Complicated than You Think
As a trusted slip and fall lawyer in DC, we see our fair share of clients who are dealing with serious medical issues, all because of a minor slip up at work or elsewhere. Many people underestimate the danger of a slip and fall accident, and only when it’s too late do they finally realize that they should have reported their injuries as soon as possible.
Fortunately, the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. is ready to help you get the compensation you deserve for your slip and fall injury. Read on to learn a little more about what makes slip and falls so dangerous, and don’t hesitate get in touch with us so we can get started on your case.
What Makes Slip and Falls so Dangerous?
They happen all the time. You bump your head on a cabinet, or slip on a puddle of something in the breakroom. They’re minor accidents that cause minor injuries – at least that’s what they look like on the surface. Without a medical professional’s input, there’s no telling how bad a slip and fall injury can get, and it’s important to report a slip and fall when it happens so you can get it looked at in a timely fashion.
Why Don’t People Report Slip and Falls?
Nobody wants to be the office klutz. Someone who slipped and fell into the koi pond in the lobby isn’t going to want to talk about it. Sometimes a person who experienced a slip and fall just wants to move past their little accident, whether through pride or embarrassment. And in some toxic environments, managers may intimidate their employees from reporting their injuries – big or small. Unfortunately, this underreporting can lead to serious consequences later on.
Embarrassment Now or Pain Later – Which Would You Choose?
Without proper reporting (and proper medical attention) you may be setting yourself up for some serious medical bills in the future. And if you experienced a slip and fall in the workplace without telling anyone, you may have to pay those medical bills out of your own pocket. Of course, you’d expect insurance to cover the costs, but worker’s comp will be out of the question if you don’t report your injuries at all.
Fortunately, with the help of a DC slip and fall lawyer from the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C., you can still get the compensation and justice you deserve.
Why Should I Contact a Slip and Fall Lawyer?
If you experienced a slip and fall, you shouldn’t pin it on yourself. It’s easy to blame your own clumsiness when you suffer a minor injury, whether at the office or anywhere else. But you should always ask yourself and important question: Could my injury have been avoided if someone else had been more careful?
At the root of every slip and fall case is another party’s negligence. It could have been the building manager’s fault those stairs weren’t properly spaced, or it could have been your employer’s fault that that spill in the break room wasn’t cleaned up or properly marked. Whatever the specifics, you need to understand that you’re not to blame – and a slip and fall lawyer in DC can prove it. Reach out to us today to get the compensation you need.