Drug Offenses Attorney DC Calls Answers Drug Possession Crimes FAQs
If you have been arrested for or charged with drug possession, you likely have many questions going through your mind about what may happen during the life of your case. This is particularly true if you are unfamiliar with the legal system or if this is your first drug offense. Consider the following frequently asked questions and answers as you begin to plan for the months ahead and for your defense.
- Am I the only one? No. Drug possession crimes are very common in the United States. Many people are facing criminal charges at a young age for possessing a relatively small amount of an illegal drug. People may face drug possession charges for a range of illegal drugs, from marijuana to prescription medication. In a time when many states are relaxing their drug laws specifically regarding marijuana, criminal charges regarding low-level possession can seem unfair, but they are still very frequent.
- What will happen if I am convicted? Drug possession charges are typically the most minor of all drug infractions but can still carry severe penalties, depending on your state’s laws. Each state has its own set of rules regarding drug crimes which may include minimum or maximum sentencing guidelines for judges and juries to use in the event of a conviction. These guidelines can vary significantly among the states, but, even a minor drug charge can carry jail time, fines, and even the loss of your driver’s license. Other factors that will affect your sentencing is whether you have been previously convicted of a crime, the amount of the drug in your possession, and the type of drug in your possession.
- What can I do to defend myself? Depending on the facts and circumstances of your case, there may be many available defenses to the drug possession charges. Again, what specific defenses are available to you will vary by state, so it is important to know the law in your area. However, common defenses include a challenge to the way the police officer found the drugs in your possession. Police officers must have a reasonable suspicion of illegal activity before they search you for drugs. If a police officer lacked this reasonable suspicion, also called “probable cause,” it is possible that the prosecution will be prevented from using the evidence gathered to convict you. A drug offenses attorney in DC can evaluate all the evidence against you and determine the best line of defense to take.
- Can I bargain my way out? Perhaps. If you are willing to adhere to court mandates regarding random drug testing, substance abuse treatment, and perhaps a fine and loss of your license, you may be able to avoid jail time. This is more likely if this is your first drug offense, if you show remorse for your actions, and the general facts and circumstances of your case.
Perhaps the most important question you should be asking yourself is: should I hire a drug offenses attorney. The answer is a resounding “yes.” Hiring a competent and experienced drug offenses attorney DC clients rely on in your area who is familiar with drug possession crimes is the best thing you can do for your case. There is no replacement for having a knowledgeable legal advocate in your corner when it is time to defend yourself against a drug possession charge.
If you have been charged with a drug crime, you should consider seeking advice from a drug offenses attorney DC trusts. Frederick J. Brynn can help to make sense of these charges, explain the details of your case, and devise a legal strategy. Frederick J. Brynn of the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. draws upon his years of experience when defending our clients against drug charges. He can fight on your behalf to reach the most positive resolution possible. If you would like to speak with a DC drug offenses attorney, please call us today.
The Importance of Hiring a Skilled Defense Attorney
A drug charge, whether you are guilty of the offense or not, is not an easy situation to be in. Your future is at stake. Being found guilty can lead to various consequences that cause a ripple effect for years to come. A drug conviction can make it difficult or impossible to get a good job, car or home loan, rental housing, and can negatively impact personal relationships. Without a drug offenses attorney DC respects on your side, you may experience significant repercussions from a conviction.
By retaining a drug offenses attorney in DC, you might have your charges reduced or dropped. Call the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. now at 202-544-7200 to find out how we may be able to help you.
Possible Consequences of Your Drug Offenses
In DC, drug offenses can lead to serious consequences. A drug offenses attorney DC community members work with understands that a drug conviction may result in any or all of the following:
- Jail or prison time
- Large fines
- Loss of child custody or visitation
- Loss of professional license or accreditation
- Inability to apply for financial aid
- Inability to secure rental housing in certain areas
- Permanent criminal record
How a Drug Offenses Attorney DC Recommends Can Help
The process of defending a client in a drug case is often very complex. It’s important to give yourself the best chance in getting an outcome that is fair for you. To do this, you should hire an experienced drug offenses attorney DC is proud to have in the community. An attorney from our firm may be able to achieve one or more of the following solutions on your behalf:
- An in-depth, thorough investigation of your case
- Assertion of your Constitutional rights
- Protection of your rights
- Building a strong defense
- Challenging any evidence
- Pleading for leniency
- Persuasion for a drug diversion program
- Full case dismissal
Call the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. Now
If you or a loved one has been charged with a drug offense, the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. can devote the necessary time to understand every detail and angle of your case so you receive the strongest defense and the best possible outcome.
As a drug offenses attorney DC relies on, Frederick J. Brynn of the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. can protect your rights. If you would like to schedule a free consultation with a drug offenses attorney DC turns to for trusted legal counsel, call the Law Firm of Frederick J. Brynn, P.C. today.