It can be incredibly frustrating and stressful to be in a car accident. The police can pose an added challenge to an already difficult situation. It can feel overwhelming to manage both a car accident and the police at the same time, especially if you have never experienced the two together before. It will be important to have the appropriate information in order to be able to respond to situations in an appropriate manner. The following provides a helpful outline of what to do in the event that the police are involved following a car accident.
The Accident Scene
- By law, it is required that all car accidents, even minor ones, be reported to the local police.
- If you are someone who was in the accident and incurred injuries, it will be necessary to help provide basic medical care to yourself and others if you are able to do so.
- Check your surroundings to ensure that you are safe from harm’s way and call 911.
- If you were responsible for the accident, it will be important not to provide too much information to the police as you do not want to be implicated.
- Even if you were innocent and not responsible for the accident, you will still want to be cautious when speaking to police.
- The right to remain silent can be exercised if need be. This involves the following:
- Only make factual statements
- Do not offer too much information
- Never admit that you were at fault
- Do not provide your assessment of the accident.
- You will also be able to exercise your Fourth Amendment right meaning that you do not give permission for law enforcement to search you or your property unless there is a search warrant. Holding police to this, will ensure that they handle the situation appropriately as well. In doing so, they will be required to access a judge for a warrant before they can search your belongings.
Retain an Attorney
An attorney’s support will be helpful even in the most simplest of situations. They will be able to negotiate and navigate the insurance company. A knowledgeable car accident attorney can help to ease some of the stress of managing the parties involved in the accident. It can be challenging to work with an insurance company as they may try to find reasons to withhold payment of your lawsuit. Allowing your attorney to negotiate with insurance companies will help ease the stress of taking it on yourself.
Meeting with a car accident attorney such as the Fredericksburg VA car accident lawyer to go over case details will be helpful in determining whether or not you are liable in the car accident. They will be able to consult with you and answer any questions you may have in the legal process you are able to encounter.
Thanks to Authors at Martin Wren P.C. for their insight into Personal Injury Law.